Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Union Pacific's "Divide of the Continent" in the dirt.

Date: 08/09/05 15:07
Union Pacific's "Divide of the Continent" in the dirt.
Author: eatontm

One of the more notable locations in Wyoming along the UP's historic Overland Route has been at the not so notable Creston, WY. At Creston, UP's transcon mainline crosses the Continental Divide at 7107 ft. above sea level. This however was not the heighest point on the original mainline, that lies some 172 miles to the east at Sherman, WY elevation 8015 ft. For years the Divide of the Continent sign stood tall, greeting trains on their trips across the country, but these days it spends it's time face down in the dirt.

It appears the sign was pulled down as it "fell" to the west, the wind whipping across wyoming sure as heck isn't blowing from the east, and tire tracks led right up to the sign earlier this year. So once again Creston is a faceless milepost on the UP's mainline between the east and west, but with luck UP might take note and see to it that the HISTORIC Divide of the Continent once again stands tall.

TME

Date: 08/09/05 15:20
Re: Rather OT
Author: DWHonan

Tyler,

Quite OT to the post, congrats on your fine pipe train shot in Trains.

-Dave

Date: 08/09/05 19:59
Re: Rather OT
Author: NH2006

DWHonan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tyler,
>
> Quite OT to the post, congrats on your fine pipe
> train shot in Trains.
>
> -Dave

I'll have to look for it too (oops sorry for continuing the thread hijack...)

Veering back on subject:
Wonder if we could volunteer time and put it up again, I'll buy some Quickrete and haul water in my lil truck (been done before). The guys at Iona Island MP 41 on the CSX River Sub did this for a mile marker (guess which one...)

Date: 08/09/05 20:12
Re: Union Pacific's
Author: WAF

Shouldn't that MOP blue be darker?

Date: 08/10/05 04:37
Author: cs16

Maybe they will put up a new 'heritage' sign that doesn't look anything like the original and be placed at some other location far, far away from here.

Date: 08/10/05 07:36
Author: Gonut1

That center track looks kind of bumpy? Not just pixels either.

Gonut

Date: 08/10/05 08:17
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Nice shots Tyler. Did you start off in Cheyenne to chase the heritage units west, or were you hanging around at Creston for a few hours, waiting for the train to show up!?

Kevin

Date: 08/10/05 10:26
Re: Union Pacific'sHistoric Marker
Author: SteveD

Is this item a candidate for John Bromley in his new assignment? In days past he would assure us here that it would be taken care of and a.o.k. i hope so, as I passed that sign many times during my summer stint in train service there a decade plus a year ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds