Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > FTM-KC Photo Spots?

Date: 11/20/01 18:13
FTM-KC Photo Spots?
Author: jim55

Might railfan Ft Madison to KC this Fri-Tue. Any "must stop at" locations that you can think of? Thanks, Jim55

Date: 11/20/01 19:19
RE: FTM-KC Photo Spots?
Author: pumpkinhogger

The Missouri R. bridge at Sibley, best photgraphed from the north side.

Marceline, with the coal tower still standing in what's left of the yard.

Various overhead bridge views in Macon county between Bucklin and La Plata. Are others are all along the line through NW MO.

Depots remain standing at Sugar Creek, Sibley, Henrietta, Carrolton, Marceline, La Plata, and Ft Madison. Are also at Baring and Ethel, but are heavily modified for MofW and not too photogenic.

Big bridge over the Des Moines river west of Argyle Iowa, the Missouri end is accessable, and of course the Mississippi R. bridge at Ft Mad.

You'll be lost without your Missouri DeLorme!

Date: 11/20/01 19:29
Author: Kushtaka

The best hills and curves are between Marceline and Ft Madison.

Two of my favorite spots are just north (timetable east) of Bucklin and south (time table west) of Rutledge.

To get to the first real set of curves, go north of Bucklin on hwy 129. You'll cross the tracks about a half mile out of town, then the first gravel road to the right (Apple street) is about 3/4 a mile after that. This crosses the tracks near a sharp S curve with 65/70 mph speed limits. You can hear the trains signal crossings a while before they show up.

The spot I like near Rutledge is reached by going east from the junction of Knox County routes M and V on a gravel road. About 3/4 of a mile down the road, turn right and it'll take you to an overpass with a pretty good view. If you miss the turn the road dead ends a little further down at a farm house.

Almost all the roads and towns between Marceline and Ft Madison have decent railfanning, although this time of year isn't overly scenic unless brown is your color. Also note that if the weather is wet, some of the roads are dirt with a thin layer of gravel cleverly placed to fool out-of-towners. Services are not on every corner, so make sure you have fuel and other items you may need (especially after we roll up the sidewalks at 5 pm).

Nearer KC is a town named Camden. The crossing there is worth checking out.

Date: 11/21/01 05:00
Author: 4400horsepower

Definitely don't leave home without your Missouri DeLorme. I have one and I have definitely got my moneys worth out of mine. Like previous posts have said, there is a lot of good photo places in Missouri on the Marceline Sub., bad thing is like was said, the trees are mostly brown right now.

Some spots I happen to like up my way is the overhead bridge right at the crossovers east of the town of Argyle, Ia., the highway 81 overpass north of Kahoka, Mo.(just be careful of the traffic on the highway), and there is an overhead bridge between Gorin and Wyaconda, Mo. with a stair step effect. The west end of Medill, Mo. isn't too bad for eastbounds in the morning either....just the sun angle isn't the greatest this time of year (the tracks face too much northeast there).....good shot though in June and July.

Keep your scanner on 160.560, l am sure you probably know the frequency. Detectors are some help if you pick them up.

Brian Klein
Burlington, Ia.

Date: 11/21/01 05:07
Author: 4400horsepower

One more post......in regards to "Kushtaka" and the post about the real curve at the junctions at M and V.......you want to go west from that junction, NOT east. lt will take you back to an overhead bridge like it says after you turn back to the north. lt is known as "The MP 284 curve." lt is a pretty good place, l have been there too.

Brian

Date: 11/21/01 10:07
Go weast, young man
Author: Kushtaka

Yes, go west from M & V.

Another map set possibly more useful than DeLorme (gasp) is the 'Missouri Conservation Atlas' available from the Missouri Conservation Department. It has black & white maps of each county showing more road and building detail but no elevations. I find it easier to use for navigation in most cases.

Date: 11/21/01 11:59
Author: pismopete

If you get to KC and are tired of driving around chasing trains; just park at Santa Fe Jct and watch the parade of trains go by. It isn't very scenic, but there are lots of trains (just east of BNSF Argentine yard).

Peter Arnold

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds