Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Aspens on the Front Range

Date: 09/09/05 10:04
Aspens on the Front Range
Author: kntower

We're heading to Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska 9/16 through 9/26. We should be up on the Moffat Route on the 9/24 weekend. Any idea of what shape the golden aspens will be in during that weekend? Any forecasts for the best color spots and dates?

Thanks in advance!

KN Tower

Date: 09/09/05 10:13
Re: Aspens on the Front Range
Author: NDHolmes

High altitudes (9000+ feet) were just starting to show signs of color last weekend. Best color out here is usually the third or fourth week of September in my experience, so you should be pretty close. It'll be a bit green yet, but still colorful.

Nathan

Date: 09/12/05 12:06
Author: RS12394

I always figure Sept 22 or 23rd is THE day to be at the Moffat Tunnel.

Date: 09/12/05 12:26
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Hello-

I'd agree that the third or fourth week of September is the best week to hit the Moffat above 7,500 feet or so. The attached picture was taken at Tolland of an eastbound coal load on September 28, 2002. Aspens were a very nice shade of gold! Up near East Portal and on Rollins Pass, there are some that turn a great shade of red too.

http://www.drgw.ws/gallery/photo.asp?id=100087

Have a good trip! Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Kevin Morgan
The Front Range
http://www.drgw.ws/

Date: 09/12/05 14:11
Author: eatontm

It all depends on the weather. It has been warm so far this fall so the last week of September will probably be about the peak at the high elevations such as East Portal. Last year came early, my best shots came on September 17th, a few days later the first snow came and all the leaves fell off.

TME

Date: 09/12/05 16:58
Re: Tyler Picture
Author: cpn

eatontm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It all depends on the weather. It has been warm so
> far this fall so the last week of September will
> probably be about the peak at the high elevations
> such as East Portal. Last year came early, my best
> shots came on September 17th, a few days later the
> first snow came and all the leaves fell off.
>
> TME

On another subject, Congrats on the picture in Train's magazine Tyler....

Craig

Date: 09/13/05 00:12
Author: drgw

Saw a pic on TV tonight that someone had sent in. Pic was taken somewhere near Eldora, which really isn't too far from the Moffat and is pretty comparable in elevation. In the pic was a nice stand of aspens which were bright gold. The peak may be a little ways off, but the good colors have apparently started. Also, we're supposed to have a cold front bringing colder temps over the next couple of days--lows in the mid 40's here in Boulder, so cold enough to snow up higher (doesn't mean it *will* though). Colder temps might speed things up a little...
Bottom line: I think you've got a good shot at being here during the peak; It's just a bit of a crapshoot...
-Wes

Date: 10/02/05 20:16
Author: drgw

kntower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're heading to Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska
> 9/16 through 9/26. We should be up on the Moffat
> Route on the 9/24 weekend. Any idea of what shape
> the golden aspens will be in during that weekend?
> Any forecasts for the best color spots and dates?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> KN Tower

So, how did your trip, and the aspens, work out?
-Wes

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds