Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Steam & Excursion > Essex Steam Train

Date: 10/22/05 17:48
Essex Steam Train
Author: bn2189

Today's fall jaunt took me to the Valley Railroad of Connecticut, better known as the Essex Steam Train. I rode the 75-minute train-only ride first, then chased the second run of the day. There is also an option to ride the MV Becky Thatcher on the Connecticut River in addition to the train, which I would actually recommend since the boat has a much better view of Gillette Castle and you can get pictures of the train while deboarding and boarding at Deep River Landing. The railroad also runs dinner trains which travel over a little more mileage, but are presently diesel-hauled.

Here, Valley Railroad #97, a 1926 Alco 2-8-0, passes through the forest near the end of the steam train ride north of Chester, CT. The train is actually backing from Chester to Deep River Landing in this shot, but it's moving so slowly it's hard to tell.

Maltby Turn out.

Date: 10/22/05 17:55
Re: Essex Steam Train
Author: bn2189

This was actually my favorite shot of the day, taken from the parking area at Deep River Landing. Is it 22-October-2005, or is it 22-October-1935?

Maltby Turn out.

Date: 10/23/05 07:33
Re: Essex Steam Train
Author: 4-12-2

Both very nice. Thanks!!

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds