Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Steam & Excursion > Forney Museum in Denver

Date: 10/27/05 09:17
Forney Museum in Denver
Author: brianf425

The BIG BOY thread reminded me... When I last visted Denver in '98, the Forney Museum also had a CNW 4-6-0 (which was getting a paint job at the time) a small Porter "Forney" and a European NG loco of some sort inside. What has become of the wrecking cranes, rotary snow plow, and coaches? I seem to recall that on the east side of the building there were some NG wooden coaches and interurban cars, in deteriorating condition. What became of them?

Thanks!

Date: 10/27/05 12:36
Re: Forney Museum in Denver
Author: tolland

Since Chip, Rich, Tyler or Nick haven't answered, I guess I will reply with a line or two. All of the Forney display which was formerly outside is now indoors. There are two lines going into the Forney museum which is off Brighton Blvd. adjacent to the Denver Coliseum from the UP main line. The length of his building on Brighton Blvd allows the equipment to be parked "end to end" on these two tracks. I think the building was formerly a meat packing plant of some sort. In the process of moving the equipment to the museum, some items were stolen and vandalized, specifically, some items from one of the passenger cars. Moving the Big Boy was a tremendous undertaking. I think it was in 1998 maybe that they made the move.

Date: 10/27/05 12:50
Author: cozephyr

Make that January 2001. Here's UP Big Boy 4005 at Prospect Junction, Denver, CO, on January 4, 2001. Westbound BNSF trackage rights train was passing.

Date: 10/27/05 18:15
Author: Nova55

ANyone got pix of when they actually moved the bigboy?

Date: 10/27/05 18:32
Forney Museum Car Question
Author: NorCalRailfan

Although it's hard to tell, is that a D&RGW car behind the Big Boy? Number and type? Does the museum own any other D&RGW passenger equipment and if so, can you tell me what they are and the car numbers?
I'm trying to track down any of the former passenger equipment the Grande got back since the equipment was used on the WP. I have Joe's D&RGW Vol. #3 book with the roster but I'm wondering if there are any updates to the dispo's of the former WP cars that TO members might be able to elaborate on. Thanks in advance!
H.

Date: 11/01/05 18:19
Author: VERNON1946

A good friend took me with him to Colorado in September of 2001. To visit his daughter and family. On one of our days there, his daughter "Sue" had the day off. And drove us to the Forney Museum! The UP BIG BOY 4005 was Magnificient to see! No words could truly describe it! It was the highlight of our trip to Colorado. God's Country.....VERNON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds