Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > Snow hits Railtown 1897 SHP, Jamestown, CA

Date: 03/11/06 18:58
Snow hits Railtown 1897 SHP, Jamestown, CA
Author: SandingValve

After digging myself out in East Sonora, I was able to make it down to Railtown 1897 SHP to catch some rare snow shots. It is not that often that a good snow lands and stays long enough to catch any decent photos. While I was tramping around in the snow I saw the venerable Joe T. Bispo recording Railtown/Sierra history for posterity. I can't wait to see some of the shots that Joe was able to capture. Meanwhile I pointed and shot my way around Railtown before heading back up the hill.

It's just too damn bad that we didn't have a steam engine that was actually ready to be fired up (#28's close though!!). I can think of several of us local engine crew members that would have gladly lit a fire off at 4am just to capture some great shots of Sierra steam wafting about the roundhouse or staged in the Jamestown yard. Can you imagine the pandemonium if the Winterail crowd got word that Sierra steam was running for photo ops?? It would have been fun.

Hopefully this will do until we get the chance again...

SV

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/10 15:53 by SandingValve.

Date: 03/11/06 19:02
Re: Snow hits Railtown 1897 SHP, Jamestown, CA

Even though the light was soo flat I tried to grab some railroad artistic shots.

SV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/10 15:53 by SandingValve.

Date: 03/11/06 19:09

Then I really got railroad "arsty-fartsy"...

Okay, so I'm a railroad nostalgia freak!! You have to admit that the colors at Railtown combined with the sky and the snow does create a dramatic scene, even if there isn't any steam running right now.

Next time, maybe next time.

SV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/10 15:53 by SandingValve.

Date: 03/12/06 09:19
Author: dmaffei

Great photos!
Never seen photos of Jamestown with snow. Thanks for posting.

Date: 03/13/06 06:01
The Sierra Is NO stranger to Snow!
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

These were taken February 5, 1949.

Martin

Date: 03/13/06 07:41
Author: MargaretSPfan

Eric -

Thank you ever so much for those beautiful photographs.
Awesome . . . especially the one of the cars with the
beautiful reflection in the water. If someone had posted
those photos with no indication as to where they were taken -
as another "Where is it?" thread - I am sure that no one would
ever have guessed that they were taken in the Sierra foothills.

Good luck with the #28 - and all her sisters! :)

Margaret (SP fan)

Date: 03/13/06 11:16
Author: lynnpowell

Beautiful photo contributions by "Loggerhogger". I just want to verify that the photos were taken where I think they were; 1st photo, departing Jamestown eastbound, and 2nd photo, eastbound, last curve before reaching the summit at Ralph. Am I right?

Date: 03/13/06 17:32
Author: SierraRail

Sierra #28 arriving at Jamestown Yard, during "White Out", blizzard conditions with three passenger cars, April 5, 1975.

Date: 03/13/06 17:42

Sierra 28 coming down the 3% grade into Jamestown during raging blizzard, April 5, 1975.

Date: 03/13/06 17:44

Sierra #28 eastbound through Sonora, Calif. during heavy snow, April 5, 1975.

Date: 03/13/06 17:52
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

Your right on both guesses!

Martin

Date: 03/14/06 15:32
Author: drew1946

Taken by either Al Rose or Stan Snook?

Date: 03/14/06 16:39

The One and Only Guy Dunscomb.

Date: 03/14/06 17:30

Nice of Mr. Hansen to give proper photo credit.

Date: 03/15/06 10:12
Author: Nitehostler

drew1946 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice of Mr. Hansen to give proper photo credit.

Very true, with all the work that the old masters did, it's a shame not to see their work properly credited.

Tom

Date: 03/15/06 14:54
Author: Nitehostler

SandingValve Wrote:
> Then I really got railroad "arsty-fartsy"...
>
> Okay, so I'm a railroad nostalgia freak!! You have
> to admit that the colors at Railtown combined with
> the sky and the snow does create a dramatic scene,
> even if there isn't any steam running right now.
>
> Next time, maybe next time.
>
> Erik A. Young
> Engineer/Fireman/Conductor
> Railtown 1897 SHP
> Jamestown, CA

Erik and Brian both...thank you for sharing contemporary looks at a "White" Jamestown.

Tom

Date: 03/16/06 21:28
Author: Dan-Thorne

Nitehostler Wrote:
> drew1946 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice of Mr. Hansen to give proper photo credit.
>
> Very true, with all the work that the old
> masters did, it's a shame not to see their work
> properly credited.
>

Hey, he bought the negs, that's all that matters. Who cares who took the shot originally, huh??????

Date: 03/16/06 21:59

For one, I care.

Date: 03/16/06 22:36

Even if you own a set of original negatives, the 'photography' still belongs to the original photographer. The original work then becomes part of the new owners 'collection'. All too often people think that just because they bought the negatives that they 'own the work'. This is only true in the physical sense, where 'possession' is concerned. Credit for the conception, visualization and eventual fruition ALWAYS belongs to the photographer who composed and actually 'took the shot'. Posting photos is a lot of fun and most photographers have no problem with others posting their work, so long as proper credit is given to those who actually took the shot. If it's from someone else's collection that needs to be given as well.

This is why in the digital age photographers are marking their work either with electronic watermarks or files that are permanent with the actual file and cannot be altered without adversely affecting the image. This is true of the former I just mentioned while the latter actually becomes a permanent record that is part of the image.

Most folks who post on the web label their photos accordingly. Some do it so as to not 'mar' the image while others just slap their moniker anywhere on the image. I myself label only the shots that really mean something to me while the others I just post because I want others to enjoy that moment in time that I have captured and I want to share that moment with them.

I agree with Brain (SierraRail), drew1946 and Tom (Nitehostler) when it comes to photo credits. God knows I've garnered my fair share of dmaffei's, Brian's and drew1946's (among others) pics for my own archives. I would never reproduce any of them on the web without their permission and would only do so ensuring that they were given proper credit.

Sorry for the rant.

SV
(amateur photographer in the making)

Date: 03/17/06 08:25

SV,

Thanks for your comments. This is no different than buying a CD, you own the medium but you do not own the music. This is the basis for all the actions against file sharing groups such as Napster. As an attorney, Mr. Hansen should have be more sensitive to copyright issues than most.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0818 seconds