Home Open Account Help 174 users online

Steam & Excursion > Help with 844 schedule confirmation

Date: 03/17/06 16:59
Help with 844 schedule confirmation
Author: palmland

I am considering a trip to Kansas to see 844 but want to be sure the dates are good before making reservations. The current plan is to fly to Chicago, train to KC, rent a car and spend April 30 and May 1,2 in the Salina, Herrington area, then fly home from KC. Is 844 still scheduled to be there then. Also, any chance of riding behind 844 on a portion of the trip. I (and my brother who will be with me) are recently retired 35 year RR employees. Thanks.

Date: 03/18/06 10:53
Re: Help with 844 schedule confirmation
Author: wlankenau

UP website says "no excursions scheduled at this time." Hmm.

Date: 03/18/06 11:09
Author: palmland

OK, I'm confused. The site, UPsteam.com, still has it posted as mentioned in an earlier thread ?

Date: 03/17/06 19:40
Author: wlankenau

Ah. I was poking around on the main UPRR.com site, and it said "no excursions scheduled." The upsteam.com site has an email link: rfjackso@up.com, so you could ask him. If there was any change, though, I'd bet they'd post it on that site. Sorry for the confusion.

Date: 03/18/06 06:08
Author: bnsfbob

Here is the schedule:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1113382,1114150#msg-1114150

None of the segments are public/employee trips. The train is on display only.

Bob

Date: 03/18/06 06:52
Author: doubleheader

That is correct. The trip as far as I know is still the same schedule, and it is a Public Relations trip to these areas by UP. The train will be on display at various cities. The problem with Salina and Herrington for us is that there is a layover day in Salina, the its only a short run to Herrington, and then another layover day, rendering 3 days somewhat expensive to hang around for.

I just had some 25 year old super 8 sound movies transfered, and watched them for the first time yesterday. This was 1981 and a trip from Cheyenne to Denver with 8444 a tank car and 5 UP hoppers and a caboose. Then the trip to Sterling, CO, via Dent Branch, and some 70 mph runing, and the return to Cheyenne with the same hopper train. Pretty cool that this loco is still going strong, and never officially retired.

Am still considering my options for chasing a portion of the 844 trip.

Steamingly,
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 03/18/06 08:13
Author: 5457

Anyone interested in chasing the 8444 from Denver to Salina ks split expenses I have plans to fly to Denver on April 26.Anyone know what the train is it will be pulling?Route 70 &40 looks like it follows the tracks for most of the way. 432 miles of 8444 would be great rlakofsky@yahoo.com

Date: 03/18/06 08:34
Author: Waybiller

doubleheader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just had some 25 year old super 8 sound movies
> transfered, and watched them for the first time
> yesterday. This was 1981 and a trip from Cheyenne
> to Denver with 8444 a tank car and 5 UP hoppers
> and a caboose. Then the trip to Sterling, CO, via
> Dent Branch, and some 70 mph runing, and the
> return to Cheyenne with the same hopper train.
> Pretty cool that this loco is still going strong,
> and never officially retired.

> Steamingly,
> Greg Scholl
> http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Greg,
Is this for sale on your website? I used to live along the Dent Branch and would love to get some video of the 8444 along there.

Date: 03/18/06 11:52
Author: doubleheader

No its not for sale. Just got this back from the film-video transfer place yesterday. There is also some Rio Grande Zephyr on there I wanted for an upcoming project. I have a bunch of old 8444/4 excursions dating back to the first trip from 2 sources, in 16mm so my stuff is something to add to that some day for a nice compilation on the loco.
Only thing we have now is the Union Pacific Steam Vol 1 and 2, shot over a 3-year span. This has some great stuff, but nothing on the Dent branch that time. Here is the link to our western Steam DVD's.

http://www.gregschollvideo.com/western-steam-dvds.html

I like volume 2 a lot cause its the first runs of the renumbered 844, and nobody chased it. 5 days running and all Company business, including 4 different freight runs, and a board of directors special. Some really nice 65 mph pacing near Grand Island as well as other surprises. That was one of my favorite chases cause nobody else was around for most of it.

Today would be a great steam day in Southern Ohio. About 43 and clear sky with no wind!!!

Greg Scholl

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds