Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Most Famous 2-6-6-2

Date: 03/26/06 17:48
The Most Famous 2-6-6-2
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

On the subject of 2-6-6-2 Lokies from Baldwin, here is a shot Guy Dunscomb took on August 29, 1952 of Sierra #38 on her maiden trip out of Jamestown. She is running light and the CMO for Sierra is on the Pilot checking over the big Mallet after her shopping. She had suffered a roundhouse fire and other abuse at her prior owner, Weyerhaueser Timber in Klamath falls, OR.

Martin

Date: 03/26/06 18:10
Re: The Most Famous 2-6-6-2
Author: haneckow

I have always had a soft spot for the #38. It is more than depressing to see it in pieces outside of McCloud. Is there any hope that we will ever see it restored, at least cosmetically?
I have never heard of the roundhouse fire during the time of its service on the Weyerhaueser line out of Klamath Falls. Any details?
I believe the #38 worked on the Weyerhauser line west of Klamath Falls but I could be wrong. Did it ever work on the east side north of Beatty?

Date: 03/26/06 18:28
Re: The Most Famous 2-6-6-2
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

Her roundhouse fire was on February 4, 1947 at Camp 4 soon after whe had been shopped by Weyerhaueser. The damage was extensive. I have photos of her after the fire being towed back to Klamath Falls for rebuilding. She was severely warped and damaged.

#38 will be saved. Her future is on hold for now, but she is being preserved for her next owner. She was purchased by the current owner from the scrapper just one week before they were to cut her up. While she does not look like we would like her to appear, she has been saved for the next generation.

Here is a Guy L. Dunscomb photo to inspire us to see her steam (and smoke) again!

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds