Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Steam & Excursion > N & W 475 at Strasburg

Date: 04/09/06 14:35
N & W 475 at Strasburg
Author: RuleG

Does the Strasburg RR have a schedule for operating the N & W 475? If I travel out there this year, I would like to time my trip to see this locomotive in operation.

Thanks

Dave

Date: 04/09/06 15:31
Re: N & W 475 at Strasburg
Author: johnacraft

There isn't a hard-and-fast schedule.

475 was taken out of service for its annual inspection in late February, and I believe it's scheduled for a steam test in the next week or two. (I may be wrong.) After 475 is back in service, CNR 89 will go into the shop for its annual, estimated back in service by June.

I believe 90 and 475 will be swapping off on the hourly train between now and the end of June, when the half-hour is added to the schedule until Labor Day. Through July and August, the "big engines" work the heavy days - 90 departs on the hour, 475 departs on the half-hour. CNR 89 heads up the half-hour trains when either 475 or 90 is in for its monthly (475 takes the hourly when 90 is in the shop).

If you're planning for a weekend in July and August, you will almost certainly see 90 and 475. The downside is, it can be extremely difficult to shoot anything other than a nose shot during the growing season. Crops are rotated, so you may get lucky, but I've seen corn planted so close to the rails a passenger could pick the ears. Then again, maybe alfalfa is planted, and you'll do fine. But if you're looking for a "guarantee" of being able to step away from the rails, go before June 1, or after October 1.

If your schedule is flexible, you can usually call the office (number is on their web site) and they will usually tell you the plan for the next few days (which could change, of course).

JAC

Date: 04/09/06 18:35

Thanks, John

That was the information I was seeking.

Dave

Date: 04/09/06 19:49
Author: BillL

Here's a few of my favorite shots of 475..

Date: 04/09/06 20:08
Author: africansteam

Wonderful set of photos, Bill. Thanks for posting.

Africansteam

Date: 04/09/06 20:28
Author: drew1946

Will be thru Strasburg myself right after Memorial Day Weekend

Date: 04/09/06 21:03
Author: nycman

Bill, talk about "last light" photography. Those are terrific.

Date: 04/09/06 21:52
Author: Nitehostler

I can see why you stayed out late that day! Those are great steam photos, thanks.

Tom

Date: 04/10/06 06:25
Author: palmland

Great pictures - where were they taken? While on the subject of Strasuburg, has anyone heard about latest progress on getting a station built at Leaman Place/Paradise. Supposedly will be a joint Amtrak/Strasburg station. Would love to be able to take the train there

Date: 04/10/06 09:04
Author: johnacraft

One other thing:

the N&W Historical Society will hold its annual convention in Strasburg in July. One of the convention activities is a mixed train using 475. If I'm reading the brochure correctly, non-members can register for the convention and participate.

http://nwhs.org/convention/2006ConvBrochure.pdf

JAC

Date: 04/10/06 09:35
Author: tarnett

Yes, non-members can attend and participate in all of the planned activities.

T.

Date: 04/10/06 11:00
Author: BillL

They were taken just before the siding at Groff's. The first shot, while not too artistic shows where I was during the morning and shows the grade crossing in the distance. The second was another one I liked. Look in the distance and you'll see 89's headlight waiting for the runby.

The title of the second one was "Was that a Hooter Whistle?" as the 475 had in fact been fitted with a real N&W Hooter for the day.

Date: 04/10/06 18:06
Author: railfan4449

Great photos bill really love the secound shot on your first post!

Date: 04/10/06 21:33

johnacraft Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One other thing:
>
> the N&W Historical Society will hold its annual
> convention in Strasburg in July. One of the
> convention activities is a mixed train using 475.
> If I'm reading the brochure correctly, non-members
> can register for the convention and participate.
>
> http://nwhs.org/convention/2006ConvBrochure.pdf
>
> JAC

The registration fee for non-members, which includes the train ride, is $50.00. That's a pretty good deal.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0632 seconds