Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP #844 --From Kansas, Thank You's to UPRR

Date: 05/07/06 18:12
UP #844 --From Kansas, Thank You's to UPRR
Author: rrman6

Ref: the thread [ Re: 844 ] from 'tolland' on May 3, 2006:

I like Jim's idea here. I'm thankful the UP saw fit to letting the #844 run the Golden State Line, as the South Central Express Heritage Tour 2006. This a first, to see steam here on this segment since the early 50's. Much improvement of this line either is in-process or already has had many miles of crosstie replacement. In completed sections, this allowed the 70 - 74 MPH speeds that the train reached between Hutchinson and Liberal. This is good trackage to run and now that has just been proven by #844.

In pacing the train from Pratt to Liberal on Thursday, May 4th, it was astonishing to see the great turnout of the public. In every town, regardless of size and at many grade crossings and along US 54 highway they ranged from older adults to small children. Most every town had bused the children from school to view with throngs of towns people. Just as amazing was seeing the law enforcement officers along the way snapping pictures themselves while the foamers were on the run with the train. All the news media, whether TV or newspaper, helped promote the forthcoming event and this prepared the communities in advance for the showing of the SCEH Special. In Southwest Kansas, as on the KP Line, I feel it was a sellout crowd.

For the younger generations to appreciate the railroad history, I hope all those railfans here as well as those of the general public on the Golden State Line, whether Kansas or not, enjoyed the view again of live steam and that communities will send their "Thank Yous" and words of encouragement. This should give some perspective to the UPRR and the "Steam Team" hopefully towards repeat performances in the future.

The e-mail feedback form may be obtained and completed for sending at:

http://www.uprr.com/info/feedback.shtml

or contact:

Mark Davis
Director Regional Public Relations
Office: (402) 544-5459
Cell Phone: (402) 203-0964 (For urgent media inquiries only)
Send e-mail (For quickest response, please call.)

Date: 05/07/06 18:24
Re: UP #844 --From Kansas, Thank You's to UPRR
Author: tolland

Mark Davis may well be on the train, he's a steam buff and a great friend to the steam crew. However, he will know where to send your responses and that's probably a good idea to consider sending a thank-you by snail mail to Mark.

Jim Burrill
Loveland, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds