Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Steam & Excursion > Help I need a 4-8-4 or close bulkhead photo

Date: 11/07/06 18:00
Help I need a 4-8-4 or close bulkhead photo
Author: dcmkris

I hope someone can help me out, I need a color photo of the bulkhead of a 4-8-4 or similar steamer. I want to paint the bulkhead on my brass engine and I have no idea what colors to use.

Kris

Date: 11/07/06 18:09
Re: Help I need a 4-8-4 or close bulkhead photo
Author: wlankenau

Boilers have backheads, flatcars have bulkheads.

Anyway, backheads are usually black:
http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/loco/backhead.html

Date: 11/07/06 18:09
Author: Nitehostler

I assume that you mean backhead instead of bulkhead. As far as any color, it might depend on what road you are modeling. Usually the jacket is black.

Tom

Date: 11/07/06 18:47
Author: africansteam

As stated above, backheads are black. Now, assuming a high level of detail on your model, and also assuming that your model crew lavishes great amounts of loving care on their steed, you could paint the water glasses and gauges gold to simulate polished brass, the valve handles red and the throttle lever silver where the engineer places his grip.

Cheers,
Africansteam

Date: 11/07/06 19:15
Author: Frisco1522

And the firebox door graphite.

Date: 11/08/06 00:53
Author: dcmkris

Well thank you everyone for your responses.

You know you would think after I have been in this hobby for so long and read so many books I would have gotten the terminology right! Oh well better luck next time.

Kris

Date: 11/08/06 11:33
Author: wlankenau

A related question for you to ponder is, what color is the inside of the cab painted? Could be black, green, light gray . . .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds