Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Steam & Excursion > Roaring Camp Climax

Date: 11/20/06 18:46
Roaring Camp Climax
Author: steamdiesel

Did the Roaring Camp & Big Trees start restoration on the Carroll Park CLimax?

Date: 11/20/06 21:13
Re: Roaring Camp Climax
Author: Vasona

No, though a Climax boiler was acquired from the Sumpter Valley awhile back for that purpose. Very little of the locomotive is salvageable with the remainder needing serious work or reengineering. The engine set is in relatively decent shape, but that's about it. This is a major, major project, and the emerging result will be, in essence, a locomotive built for Roaring Camp. If and when it ever gets done.

Date: 11/21/06 06:37
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

Here is a great John Krause shot of the Climax in service in the late 1950's for the Elk River Lumber Co.

Martin

Date: 11/21/06 07:52
Author: Hillcrest

It'd be interesting to see someone model that scene, eh Martin? That's a really cool shot...DST.

Date: 11/21/06 12:03
Author: Nitehostler

Hillcrest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It'd be interesting to see someone model that
> scene, eh Martin? That's a really cool shot...DST.

Believe that scene was termed "Wading the Lilly Fork" and it inspired at least one beautiful painting. Certainly a wonderful
scene.

Tom

Date: 11/21/06 14:29
Author: Vasona

Here's a scan from an early CP&W brochure. Looked like a neat place but their operating practices and maintenance (rather lack thereof) left something to be desired. The Climax boiler was gone before my time but I've heard stories and have seen the little Vulcan in New Jersey. At that time Pine Creek volunteers were working on some of the coaches which they planned to re-gauge to 3' and make handicapped accessible.

Date: 11/22/06 12:58
Author: Sasquatch

Oh THAT is sweet, Martin!

Date: 11/28/06 14:13
Author: MRSR_Bob

Hillcrest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It'd be interesting to see someone model that
> scene, eh Martin? That's a really cool shot...DST.

I've seen at least one model of that scene, or one very similiar to it. He used resin and had the water just below the top of the rails, so a bit of the head was exposed. Add in some ripples etc, and it was a very good looking scene, and made for a nice looking model.

Sorry, but I don't recall any details on when/where I saw this...

Date: 11/28/06 14:24
Author: nycman

I was going throught the last year's Railfan mags, and in the August 06 issue there is an article on railroad art. A painting by Patrick Michael Karnahan of Elk River no. 2 looks very much like Martin's photo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds