Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Steam & Excursion > 2100 on the ground in Tacoma

Date: 06/08/07 18:42
2100 on the ground in Tacoma
Author: X4449

I just saw this on the news, here is a link to the story http://www.kirotv.com/news/13471050/detail.html

Jim

Date: 06/08/07 19:25
Re: 2100 on the ground in Tacoma
Author: nycman

How did this happen? Was the engine hot? Did the rail just roll over where she was parked? Just curious.

Date: 06/09/07 00:31
Author: co614

As the old saying goes-it never rains it pours. This is the last thing they needed added to their financial woes. Hope they get her back on the rails with minimal damage to the running gear?? Good luck (for a change!!) to them.

Date: 06/09/07 05:21
Author: funnelfan

According to many in the local steam circles, this is just par for the course. Of course the news media is up to their usual misinformation. They're confusing this locomotive for the Mount Rainier Scenic locomotives, as the 2100 has been no where near Mount Rainier.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/09/07 19:54
Author: Tominde

Maybe 2100 was no where near Mt Ranier, but it sure looks like it in the picture. Or did Mt Ranier obtain the 2124 and paint in similar colors?

Tom

Date: 06/09/07 20:54
Author: MRSR_Bob

> Maybe 2100 was no where near Mt Ranier, but it
> sure looks like it in the picture. Or did Mt
> Rainier obtain the 2124 and paint in similar
> colors?

Actually MRSR bought the 2100 in the bankruptcy auction, but don't tell anyone yet. ;) I'm going to let somebody else run the engine on the first trip across the bridge in Eatonville, while I take photos with a very long lens... Sorry, couldn't resist!

Not sure where you saw Mt Rainier, or what looks like MRSR colors. (Sure our engines are also black, but that's hardly an exclusive paint job...)

2100 was in the Port of Tacoma, and it has nothing to do with the Mt Rainier Scenic. Some of the engine crew is affiliated with both operations.

The derailment was minor, and the only "heavy equipment" involved was the oak blocking.

Date: 06/09/07 21:19
Author: DelMonteX

Tom:

It's all relative right? What Ted meant was that the 2100 got no closer than about 30 miles from Mt Rainier, while the Mt Rainier Scenic's depot at Elbe is only about 20 miles from the peak.

Anyway, it's back on the rails (it actually hit the ground twice) and spent sometime in the engine shed at Tacoma Rail.

Here's a shot of it being re-united with it's tender. It was then dragged over to Bullfrog Junction where it was left for a few minutes until a BNSF crew came over the hill (river) and grabbed it. The second shot is of course the trip over the Puyallup river to the BNSF yard. It' was last seen sitting on RIP track and is supposed to leave on a BNSF train in the next day or two. Where or why I have no good idea of. Maybe someone else who knows can let the cat out of the bag.

By the way, on a clear day, Mt Rainier would be just to the right of the shot behind the bridges.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 06/10/07 08:41
Author: tucker

If it is not on a flatcar, not steamed up or the pistons have not been removed, it isn't going far.

Date: 06/10/07 16:20
Author: markgillings

Appears to be going to the other side of the state:

http://www.tcry.com/photos.html

Date: 06/10/07 17:09

Well that's very interesting Mark.

I wonder what the connection is between the Golden Pacific RR and TCRY.

The photos seem to depict the F40 before being relettered as the FLNX 418.

Can anybody connect the dots?

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 06/10/07 17:43
Author: tucker

Does that company also use new SD70s and former BNSF SD40s for power?

Thats a very weird website.

Date: 06/10/07 18:58

tucker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does that company also use new SD70s and former
> BNSF SD40s for power?

Since another one of the heading/logo photos is an European steam passenger train, complete with buffers, and British looking coaches, I'm guessing the web design based his choices more on what clipart was handy rather than a factual portrayal of the roster.

Date: 06/10/07 19:35

So Bob, are you suggesting that there is no connection? Just a coincidental selection of photos to fill white space?

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 06/11/07 00:42
Author: KeyRouteKen

Mr.Carter and all others:
According to a posting on Altamont Press, the 2100 was taken to the BNSF Rip Track in Tacoma.. From there, a "waybill" has been prepared to haul the engine to Richland, WA.
Why ?? I have no idea. BUT, it tells me that the GP dream in Tacoma has just died forever! Oh well!!!

KRK

Date: 06/11/07 03:18
Author: SJH

Yeeeeesssssss...just keep going east... only another 2000 miles and she'll be home! ;-)
But seriously, the scenery is definitley nicer in Richland...not too many people though(?)

Date: 06/11/07 06:23

No, I'm not suggesting there's no connection with the 2100.

Uh, let's see, "I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of..." ;) </baghdad bob>

What I am suggesting is that the photos used in the page headers don't have any real significance other than being train photos.

Date: 06/11/07 08:46
Author: CPRR

I posted a link a while ago to Railway Presevation site (it was removed), but according to that site, it may be up for sale soon. I am only repeating what I read, I have no source information.

Date: 06/11/07 22:14

As of this evening, her nose is sticking out of the Car Shops barn in the BNSF Tacoma yard.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds