Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > New Steam in China?

Date: 08/27/07 12:00
New Steam in China?
Author: wabash2800

I saw a post on another list in which someone states that new steam in China is still being built.

This is incorrect, yes?

And the recent steam locos imported to the U.S. for tourist use are used correct?

Date: 08/27/07 15:38
Re: New Steam in China?
Author: MarkD

Answer to A) You can't believe most of what you read on the internet.
Answer to B) You are correct.
OP/ED section; Don't believe this, either. Double check it.
Mark D.

Date: 08/27/07 16:43
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Wabash,
What you read is true. They are still building new 2-8-2's or you can buy a refurbished 2-10-2. Here is their web site: http://www.multipowerinternational.com I have done business with them myself.

Date: 08/27/07 17:37
Author: MarkD

I apologize.
I thought the question was whether they are still building steam locomotives.
Not, "will they build one if you order one."
If the question is read as, "will they build one if you order one" then yes, that can be done. Tooling, machinery and skilled labor is all there. I suppose one could twist that to mean they are still building steam locomotives in China.
In that context, they're still building steam locomotives in the USA. And in the U.K. too.
I guess that's nit picking, though.

Date: 08/27/07 18:07
Author: trainrider47

As far as is known, SY class 2-8-2 #1772, Tangshan Locomotive Works, October 1999, was the last standard gauge locomotive built in China. There is some speculation that it may have been built as much as two years earlier and plates only applied when it was sold. This was often the practice of US builders as well.

QJ #7207, Datong Locomotive Works, December 1988, was the last 2-10-2 built. Since SY's were industrial locomotives, this was the last mainline loco built in China. Locomotives are currently being overhauled at the 701 Locomotive Factory, which has confused some people.

Michael Allen

Date: 08/27/07 22:18
Author: crackerjackhoghead

They are actively trying to sell more as I was contacted a five or six years ago by Multipower Int. They wanted me to be their US sales rep but it didn't work out. I don't know what they go for now but at that time you could purchase a new 2-8-2 and have it delivered to either New York or Los Angeles for $450,000.

Date: 08/28/07 20:22
Author: Mgoldman

Maybe they will gear up for production of the new
Bachmann Spectrum QJ's?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0884 seconds