Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Steam & Excursion > Alco Builders plate identification help

Date: 03/17/08 06:15
Alco Builders plate identification help
Author: RWS4449

I just acquired an Alco builders plate from an estate and need some help identifying the locomotive.

American Locomotive Co. # 54235 built October, 1913. A number 1068 is written on the back.

I also have a General Electric Gas Turbine-Electric serial # 34092 built may, 1961 builders plate. I am almost sure this came off one of the last UP units, but if anyone has the unit number it would be appreciated.

I have attached photos of the plates.

Thank you for your help.

Date: 03/17/08 08:59
Re: Alco Builders plate identification help
Author: overland

Extra 2200 roster in July 1975 has GE 34092 as UP 29B. Shipped 5/12/61 Retired 2/70.

Can't help with the Alco.

Date: 03/17/08 09:05
Author: PumpkinHogger

From steamlocomotive.com, if you can't find out here this should be able to flesh it out for you:

"Most of the general files, technical manuals and ALCO designs are located in George Arent Research Library at Syracuse Univerity (Phone: 315-443-2697). The Buider's Photos and many of the Erecting Cards (photographs of the drawings) and Painting Diagrams are in the possession of a sub-chapter of the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter of the NRHS. This group of volunteers is known as "ALCO Historic Photos" and is preserving over 32,000 ALCO negatives."

ALCO Historic Photos
P. O. Box 655
Schnectady, NY 12301-0655

Date: 03/17/08 10:09

Thank you both for your information.

I am still trying to track down the ALCO locomotive.

Date: 03/17/08 14:18

I have just received the following information by email:

The ALCO list shows Schenectady works #54235 as a 2-8-0, 57" drivers, 22"x30" cylinders, 220,000-lbs.
engine weight for the International-Great Northern Ry. #418.

The main shops of the IGN was at Longview, Texas. The IGN was leased to the Missouri Pacific
and IGN 418 became MPL (IGN) #1068 on Jan. 21, 1926. The locomotive was scrapped at Palestine,
Tex. on Dec. 22, 1949.

If anyone knows where a photo of this locomotive is located please let me know.

Thank you

Date: 03/17/08 19:34
Author: Evan_Werkema

RWS4449 Wrote:

> I also have a General Electric Gas
> Turbine-Electric serial # 34092 built may, 1961
> builders plate. I am almost sure this came off one
> of the last UP units, but if anyone has the unit
> number it would be appreciated.

This would have been turbine 29B. An old thread suggests that replica plates for this unit were produced in conjunction with a brass HO model some years ago, so your plate may not be genuine. Sure doesn't look like it was ever riveted to a locomotive.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,828872

Date: 03/18/08 04:07

Thank you for the information on the GE builders plate.

This plate came from a dear friends collection in Denver who passed away last year. He also had the Gas Turbine-Electric brass Model that the plate was issued with. Now that you provided the information and link to the prior discussion I can see that the plate is a copy and has never been attached to a locomotive.

Date: 03/18/08 10:54
Author: superfleet

I've got two copies of that replica big-blow builders plate, ALco Models (a brass model importer back in the 70's and early 80's) offered them in both the typical stainless steel and also in a brass form. I have one of them hanging on the wall in my office, the other is in a drawer at home. I'd sell either of them if anyone is looking for them, I don't need both and being reproductions I could do without both....

kansasrailfan@cox.net

dan decker

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds