Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Steam & Excursion > RJ Corman QJ out of the Barn

Date: 10/31/08 11:59
RJ Corman QJ out of the Barn
Author: aplang

RJ Corman QJ out of the barn this week for a photo op with local crane company.

Date: 10/31/08 16:38
Re: RJ Corman QJ out of the Barn
Author: rcall31060

That crawler crane in the right hand side of the photo looks like it could be an old LIMA (yes, LIMA locomotive Works built cranes and power shovels, as well as steam locomotives), or maybe even a Lorain (as in Thew-Lorain). The picture's too small to tell and I can't enlarge it. Can't see the QJ very well, either. Oh well.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 10/31/08 19:58
Author: ZachMarlow

I don't think the crane in question is a Lima crane, the operators cab is on the wrong side to be a Lima

Date: 11/01/08 02:33
Author: Low_water

Do I detect some fellow heavy equipment enthusiasts on the board? :-)

Date: 11/01/08 06:01
Author: NYCSTL8

Might the crane have been built in Bucyrus, OH, by Ohio Locomotive Crane? That facility, operated now by American Loco Crane, is still there, and usually has a crane or two in the yard, tho I have yet to catch one in motion. The plant is located about a mile south of the Colsan crossing of the PRR Ft. Wayne and Sandusky lines, between the Sandusky and the T&OC remnant. Its rail access is from the T&OC track.

Date: 11/01/08 06:35
Author: aplang

This was a photo op for Linkbelt....

Date: 11/01/08 10:54
Author: nathansixchime

Indeed, the crane was built in 1958 -- older than the steam locomotive by several decades!

Date: 11/01/08 13:53
Author: nycman

NYCSTL8--I watched a lot of Bucyrus heavy equipment during the rerouting of the New York Central Gulf Curve, as a child. I have always wondered what is the correct way to pronounce "Bucyrus?"

Date: 11/01/08 14:21

NYCMAN, the correct way to pronounce "Bucyrus" is hard to depict in print, but I will try: "Biewcyrus." Think of "Viewcyrus," but put the B in place of the V. The cyrus part has a long I sound, as in Cypress. Some folks here-abouts pronounce it "Buhcyrus," as in "Duh." Given how hard it is to pronounce, I sometimes think it should be "Bu-sigh-rus." Quite a few years ago, I was in a motorcade of "Professional" cars ( hearses and car-based ambulances ) that was going to a convention of like-minded folk in Illinois. In our ranks was a beautiful 1973 Superior Cadillac High-Top ambulance from Bucyrus, with the town name displayed in a lighted panel on the leading edge of the roof. On the CB, we heard a motorist going the other way exclaim that he had just seen a "Bucky-russ" ambulance. "Bucky" is still my favorite short-hand way of referring to the place.

Date: 11/01/08 14:36
Author: rcall31060

ZachMarlow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think the crane in question is a Lima
> crane, the operators cab is on the wrong side to
> be a Lima

I beg to differ, Mr. Marlow. The cab is not on the wrong side. While in grade school back in the 50's, I had the opportunity to be on a LIMA shovel, at a local gravel pit, on numerous occasions (2 or 2 1/2 cu./yd. bucket, as I recall). The cab was in exactly the same location as the crane shown in the photo.

And yes Low_Water, I am a heavy equipment enthusiast, as well as being a die-hard Steam Locomotive aficionado. I come by it honestly, as I grew up around Cat D-8's, Euc S-18 overhung scrapers, Northwest 80D shovels with Murphy Diesels in them and the like. It was an interesting childhood, I assure you.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 11/01/08 14:57
Author: AdamPhillips

Some info regarding heavy equipment and Lima/BLH.
http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA631853.html?industryid=23403

Date: 11/01/08 18:53
Author: nycman

NYCSTL8, thanks. The Cyrus part is pronounced just like the name cyrus? Funny you mention Bucky-Russ because that's the way I thought of it as a kid.

Date: 11/01/08 20:39

yes, nycman, the cyrus part is pronounced the same way as Cyrus Vance or Billy Ray Cyrus. Would be much simpler to hail from Ada, Ohio, wouldn't it? Siiiggghhh...................

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds