Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Steam & Excursion > Contest entry - Steam loco backshop

Date: 11/18/08 16:09
Contest entry - Steam loco backshop
Author: trainrider47

This photo was taken in the Chang Chun Locomotive Repair Factory, in July, 1987. Several QJ frames are being worked on. This was an enormous and incredibly dark building, with several dozen locomotives in for repair at the same time. This was one of the few shots that wasn't badly underexposed.
Michael Allen

Date: 11/18/08 17:44
Re: Contest entry - Steam loco backshop
Author: engine3420

I do remember that place, visited it in 1988....most of the workers did not have hard hats and some wore sandals !! Good photo Michael....all of mine were underexposed.

Chris

Date: 11/18/08 20:22
Author: spdaylight

Another unique entry for the contest. I still can't get over that outstanding shot of the Si Ming Yi viaduct posted earlier. To date, in my mind, it is the hands down winner.

Did you live in the Far East for a while or take a couple of business and/or rail fan trips over there. One final question, does steam still operate in Mongolia or is the system now dieselized?

Date: 11/18/08 21:34
Author: trainrider47

Working steam in Inner Mongolia is just a memory, although the Ji Tong Railway has retained a couple of engines and have run a couple of special events since steam ended in 2005. There are still some mine railways in other parts of China that use steam, but diesels continue to make inroads even there.

Michael Allen

Date: 11/20/08 12:37
Author: 4-12-2

Thanks for the great photo!!! Sure wish I could have taken all that in.

Date: 11/20/08 16:34
Author: Soot4Life

These excellent photos brought a thought to mind regarding asbestos, locomotives and other rolling stock. No doubt the Chinese just replaced sickened workers with another but what about asbestos used in the railroad industry in the States? Does anyone have some hard facts as to when the asbestos "problem" was acknowledged and how has it been dealt with? Do class action lawsuits plague the railroad industry as they do in other industries?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds