Steam & Excursion > V&T Re-Con Updates: Next Meeting in Storey County

Date: 11/26/08 09:08
V&T Re-Con Updates: Next Meeting in Storey County
Author: trainarts

Date: 11/26/08 16:34
Re: V&T Re-Con Updates: Next Meeting in Storey County
Author: oldschool

Hi Jim
My wife and I spent last weekend in the Carson city and Virgina City area. We found it to be interesting as we could see progress on the bridge over Hwy 50. that part was coming along nicely.

We talked with a number of people at Virginia City and at Nevada State Railroad museum and for the most part they had no idea of what the final plan might be, I find it odd that after spending this much money and this much time there seems to no real plan as to what you folks are trying to accomplish. where does it start? where does it stop? Who well run this railroad?
Its not surprising that the people of Storey County voted against another $10M + in taxes

Thanks for the great job of reporting, and please keep up the good work.We get more answers here then we do talking the locals.
Yours Truly
Old School

Date: 11/26/08 21:03
Re: V&T Re-Con Updates: Next Meeting in Storey County
Author: Kimball

I have been up to the Gray V + T operation many times and I think it is terrific that an extension of the restored line is underway. In one sense, it could be seen as a major moral and historical victory for the Gray family that, years later, others are jumping on the bandwagon that they began years ago. Long live the V + T, in what ever form it can manage!

What I do not understand is why the current project is drawing so much negative publicity on this T/O site. I have been reading these typical posts for some time now. It is full of what has been done wrong, what stupid decisions have been made, etc., in the eye of the poster.

We railfans have to realize that many of these types of projects do not run exactly as anticipated in the minds of nearby railfans, yet they do get finished eventually. All projects involving lots of parties, especially government agencies, always go like that. Live with it, or get nothing.

What is it that the critical posters think should be done instead of what is being done? Do the posters have some better ideas? Come on, let's hear them!

Criticism without a corresponding corrective suggestion is typically useless and just plain annoying. My Dad used to say, "Step up or shut up!"

What do the other T/O members think about this? Is the "not what I imagined" V + T extension so flawed it should it be stopped, or can we railfans get behind it and show some support?

Date: 11/27/08 10:03
Change the channel if you don't like it
Author: trainarts

First of all, if you don't like my posts, CHANGE THE CHANNEL! I suggest you just don't read my posts in the future. Having said there, here's what wrong with your take on the issue:

Kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been up to the Gray V + T operation many
> times and I think it is terrific that an extension
> of the restored line is underway. In one sense,
> it could be seen as a major moral and historical
> victory for the Gray family that, years later,
> others are jumping on the bandwagon that they
> began years ago. Long live the V + T, in what
> ever form it can manage!

Your comment above implies that the Gray family is in charge of or benefitting from the Re-con project, which is about as far from the truth you can get.

>
> I have been reading these typical
> posts for some time now. It is full of what has
> been done wrong, what stupid decisions have been
> made, etc., in the eye of the poster.

Pleaes stop reading the posts if you don't like them.

>
> We railfans have to realize that many of these
> types of projects do not run exactly as
> anticipated in the minds of nearby railfans, yet
> they do get finished eventually. All projects
> involving lots of parties, especially government
> agencies, always go like that. Live with it, or
> get nothing.

This is a rather cynical view of government, and shows a lack of knowledge about the Re-con project. Other government projects DON'T work like this. For one example, with virtually any other government project, they would acquire all the right of way first, then begin construction. Not so with the Carson City Re-con project, they do things piecemeal and then complain later that land costs have gone up.

>
> What is it that the critical posters think should
> be done instead of what is being done? Do the
> posters have some better ideas? Come on, let's
> hear them!

How about they follow the law? When it comes to open meetings, public records laws, federal regs and state laws about land acquisition and more, the Commission regularly violates the law. Do you support that? Do you think it's typical of other gov't projects?

>
> Criticism without a corresponding corrective
> suggestion is typically useless and just plain
> annoying. My Dad used to say, "Step up or shut
> up!"
>
> What do the other T/O members think about this?
> Is the "not what I imagined" V + T extension so
> flawed it should it be stopped, or can we railfans
> get behind it and show some support?

You are defending many bad actions on the part of the Commission. Do you really think it's OK for the Commission to illegally use threats of eminent domain?

I just sat in a meeting with NDOT and FHWA detailing the many abuses of federal law by the Commission. The Commission has finally started rotating their meetings, as called for by state law. When Chairman Bob Hadfield recently violated open meeting law, I could have filed a formal complaint with the AG's office, wasting many hours and hundreds of dollars of public resources. Instead I agreed the AG should just call Bob Hadfield and set him straight on why public comment is a legal requirement.

If we lived in the world you envision, government would have zero accountability. I again suggest you simply don't read my posts if you don't like them. For every person like you who defends the Commission without knowing all the facts, I have ten people saying, "keep it up, without your reports we wouldn't know anything about the project."

Let me ask you specifically, if the Commission came along, bought your house, and then rented it back to you for $1 per year, you'd feel pretty good. How would the taxpayers feel seeing you get a house worth $5000 per month for $1?

Then a couple years later when the Commission realized your lease was illegal, broke the lease and kicked you out, would you be here saying that kind of behavior is the status quo and shouldn't be criticized?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1151 seconds