Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Steam & Excursion > 261 on Mother's Day 1994

Date: 03/09/09 17:08
261 on Mother's Day 1994
Author: alco636

I had some free time today so I fired up the scanner, and here are the results. Mother's Day in May of 1994. The 261 was getting ready to roll out east to Burlington, WI for their Chocolate Festival. I invited my family down to see the locomotive, and then we planned on going out to eat.
Everybody showed up. I was learning how to hostle, keep the fire up, and boiler pressure up. 261 boss Steve Sandberg was in the cab working on something.
I said "Hey Steve, my entire family is here. Is it ok if I give the whistle a couple blasts?"
Steve said "Sure!"
I leaned out the cab door, and waved at my dad. He knew what was next, but nobody else did!
The locomotive just sitting there makes little, or no noise at all. Plus, it was a quiet Sunday afternoon. I pulled the 261's whistle cord. Well, that whistle just scared the hell out of everyone, with the lone exception of my late father. (Anyone who remembers the 261's original Milwaukee whistle knows how loud and harsh it is/was. The sound of demons coming out Hell is my favorite description.) I swear my sister in law Sharon jumped out of her skin! Everybody had a look on their faces like they were very startled. (I still smile thinking about that.)
My dad could remember steam locomotives. When he was very young he worked for the Northern Pacific in Lester, WA shoveling ash out of ash pits. But nobody else, with the exception of my mom, had ever heard a steam whistle. Much less the 261's Demon blaster. Dad also worked on the Soo Line in MOW. He said "Then I met your old lady, and that changed everything!" haha He quit the Soo, and got a more family friendly job.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN

Date: 03/09/09 19:40
Re: 261 on Mother's Day 1994
Author: m1bprr

Think she'll ever see Scranton again?
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 03/09/09 20:35

Well, I always have a lottery ticket, and a list of places I'd discuss with Steve about visiting. Steamtown is near the top of the list. But I'm just a regular guy who dreams beyond his credit card limits! haha

Seriously though, wouldn't it be fun? Thanks for sharing the photo. I was on that train. I remember her working hard uphill. Fun time there in Scranton.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN

Date: 03/09/09 20:49
Author: firefighter25dfd

Does anyone have any idea why just one of her tires is painted white?

Date: 03/10/09 03:52

It's dirty from sand. The tires have always been black.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN

Date: 03/10/09 06:33
Author: firefighter25dfd

I thought they were always black. Blacked out tires look so much better!

Date: 03/10/09 07:35
Author: HRGXguy

If she is, it's doubtful that it'll be any colder than this was, in February of 1996....BRRR!

261 at Nay Aug tunnel...

HRGXguy,
Those 261 folks do a terrific job with that fine engine!

m1bprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think she'll ever see Scranton again?
> Ed K. cp Laurel Run

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds