Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Steam & Excursion > Question for LoggerHogger (or anyone with an opinion!)

Date: 10/11/09 18:59
Question for LoggerHogger (or anyone with an opinion!)
Author: Got_Steam

Martin,

You're probably out on the road with the 4449 which might make this question easier to answer. What makes the Friends of SP 4449 Inc. such a successful organization year after year? Some groups seem to have great success for a few years, then fall apart (C&O 614, Frisco 1522, etc.) while others soldier on. Assuming all mainline steam operators face similar costs and challenges why do you think some fail while some flourish? Thanks,

Rob
Phoenix, AZ

btw, no offense to any prior or current member of either of the above groups is intended.

Date: 10/11/09 19:16
Re: Question for LoggerHogger (or anyone with an opinio
Author: Daylight4449fan

I can't say that there is an exact reason or reasons, but we have some of the best steam people in the Country working on the 4449. We have made good friends with several railroads and private car owners.
And, of course, our loyal fans and supporters! Without folks to donate money or purchase souvineers, the engine would never get out of the Brooklyn Roundhouse door.
Of course I don't mean that certain other steam groups have any one or all reasons above missing, each mainline steam locomotive operator has its own unique challenges to overcome in order to fire up their "old girls".

Date: 10/11/09 19:55
Author: nycman

Portland and surrounding area have quite a population group to draw from and there are a lot of folks interested in steam and preservation. I guess in one word, the real answer is DOYLE. He encourages people of all ages to get involved in the maintenance, operation, preservation of this historical hardware. He has brought a lot of young people into the Brooklyn roundhouse operations by encouraging them in whatever efforts they contribute, and they are appreciative, and stay on board. There is always something to look forward to, such as the annual Holiday Express operations, which couldn't be run without Dick Samuels and his Oregon Pacific RR. That, and usually, at least once a year, there is a big event, like the Bend trips or the Stampede Pass trip, the 2005 NRHS convention. This year, the biggest one since 1984, the trip to Minneapolis and on to Owosso for the Steam Fest, then the trips just run this weekend with the Friends of 261. I have been personally involved at my ancient age, just in the marketing area, helping out whenever I can get to any of the outings, selling tee shirts, hats, pins, DVD's to raise funds that enable continued operations of this awesome locomotive. There are many other volunteers who do the REAL work, keeping the locomotive ready to go, servicing her when on the road, and they are dedicated to keeping her running. Oh, I could go on and on, but I think you get the drift................

Date: 10/11/09 20:08
Author: smokebox

It's often said "it's not how you get over the road without a failure, it's how you get out of the way if there is one". Doyle, and his team, has decades of experience has shown that they know their steed and when she bites them in the behind they can usually get her out of the way without disrupting traffic. Track records are priceless.

Date: 10/11/09 20:12

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Portland and surrounding area have quite a
> population group to draw from and there are a lot
> of folks interested in steam and preservation. I
> guess in one word, the real answer is DOYLE. He
> encourages people of all ages to get involved in
> the maintenance, operation, preservation of this
> historical hardware. He has brought a lot of
> young people into the Brooklyn roundhouse
> operations by encouraging them in whatever efforts
> they contribute, and they are appreciative, and
> stay on board. There is always something to look
> forward to, such as the annual Holiday Express
> operations, which couldn't be run without Dick
> Samuels and his Oregon Pacific RR. That, and
> usually, at least once a year, there is a big
> event, like the Bend trips or the Stampede Pass
> trip, the 2005 NRHS convention. This year, the
> biggest one since 1984, the trip to Minneapolis
> and on to Owosso for the Steam Fest, then the
> trips just run this weekend with the Friends of
> 261. I have been personally involved at my
> ancient age, just in the marketing area, helping
> out whenever I can get to any of the outings,
> selling tee shirts, hats, pins, DVD's to raise
> funds that enable continued operations of this
> awesome locomotive. There are many other
> volunteers who do the REAL work, keeping the
> locomotive ready to go, servicing her when on the
> road, and they are dedicated to keeping her
> running. Oh, I could go on and on, but I think
> you get the drift................

I will second that! I'm an example of Doyle's "recruiting". I've have been awed by that beautiful machine for as long as I can remember and met Doyle at a very young age. I popped up at the Roundhouse several times a year and this spring, Doyle asked me to help out, even though I'm still at a young age. In my, and many others', opinion, Doyle is the reason that locomotive is not still rusting away somewhere.

Date: 10/11/09 20:29
Author: Got_Steam

Daylight4449Fan,

I'm always pleased to hear and see young people getting involved with steam. I started in earnest at 33 when I joined the PLA in Fremont, CA last year but I regret the years behind me that I was not involved.

So far, it seems a charismatic, outgoing and accepting leading is critical to a solid group. A track record for reliable, safe operations is another key. Keep it coming. Thanks!

Rob,
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 10/11/09 21:09
Author: burlingtonjohn

While I am no expert, allow me the following observations (since you asked for opinions):

- Doyle has been with 4449 since 1974. I don't think there is any engine out there that can top that. He has a track record with the same locomotive that has traveled the country on various different trips (American Freedom Train, Amtrak Transcontinental Steam Excursion, Sacramento Railfair {several times} New Orleans Worlds Fair, the current trip to Michigan and back, charter work (Walt Disney, SP, BNSF, to name a few). There is a lot more that I have no doubt forgotten, but suffice to say, Doyle and the Friends have a proven history that no private main line operational group can match. In a conversation that I had with Doyle at Brooklyn in 2002 (thanks Smokebox, I owe it all to you and George), he said that he would paint 4449 pink if someone came up with the money to cover the cost of the paint and operation. I suspect there are some outfits out there that don't and/or didn't have that same outlook and they regret it to this day. Because of the attitude of the Friends and the way they operate, they are able to operate on major class ones where others can't. Lesson learned. I also think that the Friends are satisfied with the occasional mainline trip .. while I am sure that they would like to do more, they don't get wrapped around the axle if they are not out every year. Patience is the key. Also, the attitude of the Friends is infectious (not to say that others aren't!!!!!!). Other groups can certainly take a look at them and take home more than a few lessons learned.
- 1522. Had the opportunity to ride/interact with these fine folks several times. I think the reason that 1522 is no longer operational can be attributed to several different reasons ... a string of bad luck that was not the engines fault, the work that would have been required to re-certify the engine to the new standards and not to forget the insurance costs. In fact, you could probably safely insert any other mainline steam engine that was getting close to time on the clock and say the same thing.
- 765, 1225, 261 and a few others are fortunate that they are close to lines that will allow them to run (read: non class one). Others aren't so fortunate.
- 3751 folks are another special group to me. Faced with the lack of significant mainline operating opportunity, they have diversified into other areas. Movie work, classroom education are but a few examples. They know how to giterdone.

The above is not all inclusive by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't talk about the folks on the C&T, Silverton, the Eureka, the Leviathan or many of the steam teams out there, although they certainly deserve notice.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 10/12/09 05:15
Author: LoggerHogger

I just saw this. Let me answer this way. We are in MN now and there is 2" of new snow and still snowing and we have our full crew up and moving to get the engine and train ready for our cross-country Westbound trip.
As you know, I am a member of many railroad groups so I can see what works and what does not. The key to any of these successful groups is good leadership and a spirit of cooperation and a "can do" attitude. While Doyle is an important part of the leadership we have several key people that help head up the various aspects of the operation. No one person can do it all. We all pull together because we respect each other and tap into the talents that each member has to offer.

I could go on, but I have to get back to the train. We have lots to do before we pull out tomorrow and head over the Rockies to Portland. We hope to see some of you along side cheering us on and getting some great T.O. photos.

Thanks for the interest from the Crew of Sp 4449.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/09 05:21 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/12/09 06:37

I'll either be at Portland Union Station or at Brooklyn, tell everybody I wish them the best of luck!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0656 seconds