Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > Shasta Daylight Special on Redding trestle

Date: 02/07/10 20:33
Shasta Daylight Special on Redding trestle
Author: dmaffei

After the 1991 spill in Dunsmuir at the Cantara crossing, SP ran this excursion with 4449 to benefit the town of Dunsmuir on Labor Day weekend that year. This photo shows 4449 making her way across the Redding trestle on Saturday morning, the second trip of a three trip weekend. Friday the train was run for media and dignitaries. The train ran from Redding to Mt Shasta city park and return. Cost of riding was a $100 donation to the Dunsmuir chamber of commerce. A fun weekend on the Shasta Route...

Date: 02/08/10 05:15
Re: Shasta Daylight Special on Redding trestle
Author: Daylight4449fan

Beaufiful

Date: 02/08/10 06:44
Author: SF3751

This would certainly have been a runner for TRAINS Magazine's "Bridging The Gap" contest. Very nice ;)

Date: 02/08/10 08:13
Author: tomstp

Man, what a bridge!

Date: 02/08/10 09:54
Author: GoldenState

Ahhh, The Dead Fish Daylight!

I tried to get my Dad to take me up there for some photos, but it did not happen:-(

Nice photo Dave!

Date: 02/08/10 12:04
Author: LoggerHogger

The Official Name we used for those trips was "The Toxic Daylight".

Martin

Date: 02/08/10 13:42
Author: Keystone1

Beautiful...simply beautiful! Notice...NO diesel, Matched consist. That is why I haven't seen the engine run in nearly twenty years. It doesn't look like this anymore!!! Keystone1

Date: 02/08/10 15:39
Author: CDTX

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful...simply beautiful! Notice...NO diesel,
> Matched consist. That is why I haven't seen the
> engine run in nearly twenty years. It doesn't look
> like this anymore!!! Keystone1

I'm starting to believe you say this over and over just to rile us up.

Jeff

Date: 02/08/10 16:32
Author: HotWater

Dave,

Very nice shot and thanks for posting. We certainly had a lot of fun running those trips for the SP. I must admit that I really didn't like that bridge and when McCormack realized that, he had me run a few times "up the canyon" to Dunsmuir (he doesn't like to go up-hill slow anyway), knowing that I would have to start right out of the depot and then go over the damned bridge.

Keystone,

Actually 4449 still looks that good! However she is now painted in the "as delivered in 1941" styling. But then, from my viewpoint I don't really car what is behind us, so long as I can still listen to that "Lima Symphony"! You have no idea what you're missing if you are only concerned with what you see thru a camera viewfinder.

Date: 02/08/10 18:40
Author: hiline

I've seen many shot's of the 4449 crossing the Redding trestle but never one taken from the vestibule while crossing.Awesome photo Dave! Thank's for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds