Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Steam & Excursion > IC 2542

Date: 02/09/10 16:52
IC 2542
Author: IChogger77

Does anybody know if the IC 2542 that is currently in McComb MS would be very hard to restore. I've been told that it was rebuilt shortly before retirement. Any info or history on it would be great. It looks better inside and out than any other locomotive I've seen on display

Date: 02/13/10 15:32
Re: IC 2542
Author: NKP779

Anymore, deterioration from 40 or 50 years out of doors is a serious consideration, in addition to the mechanical wear from their regular service days. "Brand new" crankpins that have been outdoors for 50 years could have enough pitting to where they need to be machined again.

Date: 02/15/10 06:22
Author: Frisco1522

I have to laugh at the fact that every engine on display was overhauled just prior to donation. It's almost taken on the "Urban Legend" status. Granted, some had many miles left on an overhaul, or was shopped and put into storage for years.
Look at it this way, if you knew you were going to get a new car (diesels), would you overhaul the engine in your old one (steam), paint it and put new tires on it? Just not economically feasible. Most railroads patched up an engine and sent it to the next terminal for that roundhouse foreman to worry about.
That being said, I'd love to see an IC 2500 run again.

Date: 02/15/10 08:17
Author: ctjacks

I think the Southern RR did look at this engine as a candidate for restoration back in the 1970s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds