Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP Steam in Texas

Date: 03/04/10 12:01
UP Steam in Texas
Author: SP7615

Any idea of the routing that the UP Steam Excursion is going to take to Harlingen Texas next month or later this month.

SP7615

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/10 12:02 by SP7615.

Date: 03/04/10 13:43
Re: UP Steam in Texas
Author: sptno

There is only one rail route to Harlingen. Take a look at the former Missouri Pacific line down to the valley from Houston.

Large cities close to the route include Bay City, Refugio, Corpus Christi, Kingsville and Harlingen. Some of the route parallels Hwy 77. Should be some good pacing shots along Hwy 77 between the San Antonio River through Kingsville and south to the Rio Grande Valley.

I grew up in Corpus Christi and a little familiar with the route.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 03/04/10 17:36
Author: VERNON1946

I wish I could come.....for various reasons. Mainly, the Locomotive and her train, UP 3985 or 844. Also, I have a Cousin in Houston, who I have not seen for around 20 years, or more.....! VERNON FROM MISSOURI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/10 17:37 by VERNON1946.

Date: 03/05/10 05:27
Author: columbusrailnut

is there any idea of a time line for the trip. I live in Ohio but am thinking of coming down for a weekend if it works out.

Date: 03/05/10 10:48
Author: tehachcond

sptno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is only one rail route to Harlingen. Take a
> look at the former Missouri Pacific line down to
> the valley from Houston.
>
> Large cities close to the route include Bay City,
> Refugio, Corpus Christi, Kingsville and Harlingen.
> Some of the route parallels Hwy 77. Should be
> some good pacing shots along Hwy 77 between the
> San Antonio River through Kingsville and south to
> the Rio Grande Valley.
>
> I grew up in Corpus Christi and a little familiar
> with the route.

How about out of Cheyenne? Would it go via North Platte, or down the Colorado Joint Line via Pueblo? Needless to say, I'm not too familiar with my UP geography heading toward Texas.

Brian B.
>
> Pat
> South Austin, TX

Date: 03/05/10 12:37
Author: dan

my guess to KC then tx on the mopac

Depart 8:00 a.m. MDT Cheyenne, Wyo.
Arrive
Depart 10:45 a.m.
11:15 a.m. MDT Lodgepole, Neb. Service Locomotive
Downtown
Arrive
4:00 p.m. CDT North Platte, Neb. Front St.
Between Chestnut and Poplar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/10 07:53 by dan.

Date: 03/05/10 19:35

I hope you are right, Dan..About Kansas City, then Texas! Go to : <www.upsteam.com>
to keep up-dated on this excursion. New information should be available soon.....VERNON

Date: 03/08/10 11:55
Author: Focalplane

I rode the weekend excursion from Houston to Corpus and back again back in the mid-1990s. That was some trip organized by the folk at Gulf Coast Chapter NHRS. The route was Houston, Angleton, Bay City, Blessing, Placedo and Sinton. The three E9s were the motive power on that occasion. A non-railroad event on the Sunday morning was very special - breakfast on the hangar deck of USS Lexington.

Date: 03/13/10 10:08

Maybe I'm over-anxious, but isn't it time, to learn more information on this excursion? No offence to anyone or anybody, I just think it is high time to have all the details...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds