Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Steam & Excursion > OP&E 19 video

Date: 05/14/10 23:31
OP&E 19 video
Author: choochoocharlie

After just seeing her sister #18 arriving and fired up at the Fillmore and Western in Santa Paula, we have to go back to 1985 again to see #19 running on the OP&E. Painted black for her short movie role in STAND BY ME (tentatively titled THE BODY during the filming) she is heading East away from Lake Dorena and crossing the Row River Road Grade crossing not too far from the balloon track at Culp Creek. The regular Fireman, Steve Beranek has changed places with the engineer, George McFadden. They did this on a regular basis as they both knew how to run the engine from either seat. They made two runs each Saturday and Sunday during the summer. A morning run at 10:00 AM for two hours and an afternoon run at 2:00 PM for two hours. It was just another nice summer day to chase a steam locomotive.

C.C.Chas.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/15/10 00:44
Re: OP&E 19 video
Author: sp4294

I really appreciate these videos of the 19 you've been posting lately. I have had a deep affection for this engine since I was 8 when rode behind her for the first time on the YW. She's the first live steam locomotive that I actually got to experience up close and visit the cab. It made quite the impression on me and I was immediatly hooked on her. What makes her even more special is that I now get to work on her as volunteer on the YW and I've made several trips as a fireman. The first photo is my dad and I in the cab of 19 not too long after my 9th birthday. The second photo is me 12 years later firing the 19. Thanks again for posting these videos. And I've heard nothing, but good things about George and Steve from others on the YW.

Tim Stricker
Redding/Chico,CA

Date: 05/15/10 09:33
Author: Frisco1522

She looks great in basic black!

Date: 05/15/10 12:15
Author: boilerfoam

Anyone know where those IC cars are today?

Date: 05/15/10 20:48
Author: choochoocharlie

Thanks for the comments and glad to know #19 is still under steam once in a while. I don't remember where the IC cars went to though. If anyone knows, please let us know. Unfortunately George McFadden passed away a year or so ago. But Steve Beranek is still in Cottage Grove as far as I know. Skip Baldwin, who lives in Eugene, has also fired the #19. He has some good stories to tell about his experiences with her. And as I thought, if they saw someone taking photos up ahead, they would either throw some sand into the firebox or overfire the engine to produce a cloud of smoke for effect. It was pretty obvious as the engine approached and then all of a sudden there was a cloud of dark smoke coming out of the stack. Normally she ran pretty clean except for exhausting some steam if the temperature was on the cool side.

Attached 3 previously posted photos. First shot is climbing the grade at the Dam of Lake Dorena on the afternoon run. Notice the Ex SP, Ex Amtrak articulated coach behind the generator car which was used when there was a larger crowd riding the train than normal. Second shot is at the same Row River Road grade crossing as in the video, but on the morning run headed East from the other side of the tracks. Last shot of #19 at the shops in Cottage Grove with the #602 behind her. All 3 shots in her normal paint scheme on "THE GOOSE".

C.C.Chas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/10 20:51 by choochoocharlie.

Date: 06/02/10 18:04
Author: PennRailVideos

Nice video and she looks fantastic with the white trim and smokebox!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds