Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Steam & Excursion > Doubleheading for real

Date: 06/19/10 23:20
Doubleheading for real
Author: jbwest

The Cumbres & Toltec will run its first doubleheader of the season this week. Where else in the world right now are steam trains doubleheaded because both engines are really needed to get the tonnage over the road. The C&TS is simply an amazing time machine for anyone fascinated by hard working old machinery.

JBWX

Date: 06/20/10 15:40
Re: Doubleheading for real
Author: railstiesballast

I second John's recommendation.
I knew it would be fun to photograph a doubleheader on the 4% grade but what I was not counting on was the SOUND!
You really, really have to be there. This is from June 28, 2007.

Date: 06/20/10 16:21
Author: VERNON1946

A B--I--G 10-4, ON THE SOUND! SO DYNAMIC, POWERFUL, & AWESOME.*******

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI

Date: 06/20/10 17:41
Author: rehunn

It's an interesting picture when you contrast the difference in track
condition that three years have made.

Date: 06/20/10 18:19
Author: RuleG

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Cumbres & Toltec will run its first
> doubleheader of the season this week. Where else
> in the world right now are steam trains
> doubleheaded because both engines are really
> needed to get the tonnage over the road. The C&TS
> is simply an amazing time machine for anyone
> fascinated by hard working old machinery.
>
> JBWX

I don't know if they still do it, but when I rode the Durango & Silverton in 2002 on a regular excursion trip, the train was double-headed out of Durango.

However, that does not detract all that is wonderful about the Cumbres & Toltec which offers one of the best rail experiences in the United States. Not only is it an amazing time machine, but the trains pass through some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere.

Date: 06/21/10 15:04
Author: tomstp

For my money, the C&TS is a better ride than the D&S AND you get to look over all the equipment in Chama and the original yard, coaling tower and sand house. It is just great. D&S is a good ride though, a different type of scenery largely canyon related.

Date: 06/22/10 08:31
Author: jbwest

I feel we're VERY LUCKY to have both the D&S and the C&TS. Both are great rides, and both preserve some of the DRGW ng. tradition. Very different scenery....ride both of them if you can.

With regard to doubleheading on the D&S, I believe it was more common when the 470's were seeing more use. I believe currently only one 470 is in service, with a second being overhauled, and the third down for the count with a cracked cylinder saddle or some such major problem. Now that most trains are powered with the more powerful 480's, doubleheading appears to be less common. I would be curious if the D&S has ever doubleheaded two 480's? I also believe ridership is down a bit due to economic conditions, so the need for doubleheading may be reduced. Perhaps somebody more familiar with D&S operations can chime in and correct me on any of this. But yes, when the D&S does doublehead it is because they need to for the tonnage, just like the C&TS. Amazing stuff for 2010.

Now for the advert! See my pix at: http://narrowgaugememories.com/v/Rio+Grande+in+the+60s/

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds