Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > Rio grandee scenic

Date: 07/18/10 13:06
Rio grandee scenic
Author: bronco22

on friday had a great trip over Le vet pass if you havent riden this id highlt reccommend it on return trip stopped at fir, left lounge on main backed up on siding and picked 2 dome cars for return to alamosa took crew less than 10 min maybe amtrak needs lessons

Date: 07/19/10 16:51
Re: Rio grandee scenic
Author: train671

The trip from Alamosa over La Veta Pass is quite enjoyable especially behind the steamer. Had the pleasure of
participating in two photo charters with steam. #1744 and #18 both "went over the hill" and unless you are on
a photo charter it is very difficult getting to some of the better locations. Between Alamosa, Chama and
Durango one sure has lots of choices. A couple of years ago when the #315 first came back out in Durango, I
spent about ten days in that area taking in the photo charter involving the #315 and then visited the other two
railroads. Overall I got some great shots and even found the "secret" road to get down to Osier. Took that road
but whew what a road. YOU really need four wheel drive and "Heaven help you if there is mud." I made it
OK but not sure I would take it again. In any case, for steam lovers, heading to New Mexico/Colorado sure is
worth the trip.

Date: 07/20/10 06:57
Author: Cumbresfan

Overall I got some great shots and even found the "secret" road to get down to Osier. Took that road but whew what a road. YOU really need four wheel drive and "Heaven help you if there is mud." I made it OK but not sure I would take it again.

Often thought about telling a lady about a wonderful out-of-the-way restaurant for lunch (they welcome walk-ins). Start taking her down the 18-mile dirt road and if it doesn't completely freak her out as you get further from the highway and it turns into a mud-rutted cow path, you have a keeper! And the lunches AND deserts there, WOW!!

Date: 07/20/10 07:41
Author: WW

I laugh when I read the "tenderfoot city-slicker" accounts of the road into Osier. As backcountry roads in southwest Colorado go, it is not that bad. I've driven it more times than I can count and, believe me, I've been on far worse roads. Yes, you may need 4WD when it's wet. That's true of about a bizillion other backcountry roads in Colorado and New Mexico--yawn. (That said, some of the locals who work at Osier drive their cars in there all summer.) It also is hardly a "secret." It's plainly visible and marked on Forest Service maps, DeLorme Gazzetteers, and Benchmark Atlases. Apparently, nobody can read a map, anymore? As the old saying goes, "Time to buck up, little campers."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/10 08:31 by WW.

Date: 07/20/10 13:33
Author: Cumbresfan

It also is hardly a "secret." It's plainly visible and marked on Forest Service maps, DeLorme Gazzetteers, and Benchmark Atlases. Apparently, nobody can read a map, anymore?

Thread on another forum about a semi driver that believed his GPS with a route between Silverton and Lake City, CO. He got stuck part way up the road to Animas Forks!

Date: 07/20/10 17:14
Author: mikel

I was in Animas Forks a couple of years ago. It was kinda funny watching some clowns in a van trying to get up the road past Animas Forks. You don't really need a 4WD till you get farther up in the hills there, but was chuckling as the driver was obviously out of their league :P

Mike

Date: 07/20/10 19:49
Author: WW

Cumbresfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It also is hardly a "secret." It's plainly visible
> and marked on Forest Service maps, DeLorme
> Gazzetteers, and Benchmark Atlases. Apparently,
> nobody can read a map, anymore?
>
> Thread on another forum about a semi driver that
> believed his GPS with a route between Silverton
> and Lake City, CO. He got stuck part way up the
> road to Animas Forks!

It showed up on the GPS because, though it is a 4WD road, it actually is a San Juan County road and has a County Road designation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds