Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Steam & Excursion > July 2010 Trip on the Durango & Silverton

Date: 08/07/10 20:17
July 2010 Trip on the Durango & Silverton
Author: Amtk509

This past month, I was awarded the opportunity to embark on an excellent train ride. I had last ridden this train in 1996 at the age of 15, and did not not have the same appreciation for steam that I do now. The trip was fantastic! Our party rented the last two cars on the train, one of which was the San Juan. Our power for the trip would be the 481, lugging its tender and 11 cars behind it. Here are a few videos that I took while enjoying the beauty of the San Juan Mountains.

First video is of our train passing under US 550 shorty before arriving in Rocklin.

Second video is of our train just as it exits the rock cut and begins to hug the cliff walls above the Animas River.

Last video is from the vestibule of the last car on our train as we begin our descent from the cliffs to the river.

Enjoy!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/08/10 00:04
Re: July 2010 Trip on the Durango & Silverton
Author: VERNON1946

I rode, the Durango Train, in the early to middle 1970's! No, I do not remember the exact year! But I distinkely remember, it was the Train Ride of a Lifetime! I have always wanted to return, and do it all over again. We were gone all day, from Durango to Silverton, and back to Durango. With a 2 hour layover, I think it was, in Silverton. This Train ride reveals, to the whole wide world, there is not only a God, but it shows a Beautiful Part of this earth He has Created. If you don't believe there is a God, this Ride will convince you there is! And prompt you to become a Christian/ for sure! (ROMANS 10: 13)

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/10 00:05 by VERNON1946.

Date: 08/09/10 18:38
Author: upkpfan

My wife and 3 kids and I rode it in 86 when we were out there. My wife and I will ride it again in Sept. on a CO RR bus tour. It includes 5 RR and I've been on 2 of them already. Really looking forward to it. upkpfan

Date: 08/09/10 19:07
Author: Cumbresfan

Great videos! I was almost lulled to sleep by the third video with the gentle rocking and clickety-clack of the wheels as the train approached the Animas River crossing at the bottom of the highline.

Date: 08/10/10 22:19
Author: mike15224449

I rode "The Silverton" back in 1989 behind the 480. It was a rocky day for her. This was my first day-long trip behind steam. The Locos on these 2 day as follows.

day one
478 first train
480 second train(my trip)
497 third train with arrival back in Durango with Lightning and thunder in the backround
481 fourth train

Day 2
476 First train
497 Second train
481 Third train
478 Fourth train

I didn't know all the facts behind the Silverton Branch but after the experience, taking a few years to learn completely about it through books and video. I came to really like the K-28 in terms of the motive power there. These were the locomotives back in the heyday of steam into the 1960's that powered the different consists up the line. If I make it back there I would like to make a reservation for the smallest train out on the line that day. That way I shall get the chance to ride behind 1 of the 2 remaining K-28s. 478 is my favorite.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds