Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam along the Sound - Royal Hudson Yesterday

Date: 12/08/10 04:37
Steam along the Sound - Royal Hudson Yesterday
Author: cp1400

Tuesday Dec 7 saw the West Coast Railway Association steam up the Royal Hudson #2860 to attend a private function in Vancouver BC. The train departed Squamish (which is home base for the 2860) shortly after 10:00am for the 39 mile run along Howe Sound and through West Vancouver on a route she ran regular excursions on for 25 years.

The eventual destination was another 12 miles of industrial and main track to CN's Main Yard in downtown Vancouver BC where the engine and train will be part of a private function on Wed Dec 8.

Recently Loius Vuitton opened a specialty boutique store in Vancouver that is the first of its type in Canada. The marketing people behind this store have chartered the Royal Hudson and train to participate in the Grand Opening party. The interior of an old freight house in Vancouver has been transformed into a grand French railway station. Invited guests will attend the opening ceremonies at the store and then transfer to the freight house for the party. During the event they will be given an opportunity to travel by steam train back and forth from one end to the other in CN's Main St yard. No word if guests attending will receive a free handbag!

Here are selected photos from the days trip.

1. Departing Squamish near the old station site.

2. Entering the main track at South Siding Switch Squamish.

3. Passing Brittania Beach.

cp1400

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/10 01:56 by cp1400.

Date: 12/08/10 04:47
Re: Steam along the Sound - Royal Hudson Yesterday

4. Next to Hwy 99 at Porteau. The rail line at this location was paved over to provide an extra lane for traffic to/from Whistler during the 2010 Winter Olympics. Shortly after the Olympics, the pavement was removed and proper roadbed restored. Check photo six in this post from Jan 18, 2010:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2103682

5. Along the rocky bluffs at Brunswick.

6. Threading its way through North Vancouver at Waterfront Park.

cp1400

Date: 12/08/10 04:51

7. Resting next to the freight house in Vancouver at the end of the day.

cp1400

Date: 12/08/10 04:54
Author: GPutz

Thank you for braving the PNW weather and posting these great images. And, thank you, Louis Vuitton! That's CLASS! Gerry

Date: 12/08/10 06:16
Author: cozephyr

Thanks for sharing Steam along the Sound - great images, tough weather - well worth your effort! Love the night view in Vancouver.

Date: 12/08/10 06:17
Author: doubleheader

Lovely engine and nice shots. Especially like the Britania shot with the dock and boat. Have shot on this line back in the 90's.
Greg Scholl

Date: 12/08/10 09:40
Author: asheldrake

All great shots of a beautiful engine, consist and locations. #3 passing Brittana Beach could be
my favorite but tough choices. THANKS for posting and "enjoying" our beautiful PNW weather.
Arlen (Portland)

Date: 12/08/10 10:13
Author: spdaylight

Thanks Ken for posting a great set of photos.

Just finished a volunteer 'graveyard' shift guarding the train from potential taggers and copper thieves. Even though the train set is in a protected fenced area, in this day and age, it's sad to say that still isn't enough. Our Hudson coaches got tagged late last year while overnighting in the New West railyards during the transfer back to Squamish.

But that said, you couldn't pick a better overnight 'security' gig than guarding our 'Grand Lady of Steam' as she sat quietly hissing overnight. You really rekindle the feeling at 'being at one' with a steam engine as it is just the two of you in the wee hours of the morning.

They are doing quite a job in transforming the old warehouse into the Louis Vuitton Station. I'm doing the overnight schtick again tonight so will try and grab a couple of shots.

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/10 11:37 by spdaylight.

Date: 12/08/10 11:45
Author: ctjacks

Nice pictures - what's the consist behind the Royal Hudson? Thanks.

Date: 12/08/10 12:52
Author: tomstp

Never will forget driving up to Squamish in 1996 and where the railroad is extremely close the highway I met it on a curve and I thought it was about to cross the highway in front of me and me hit it. Heart beat about 10,000 times in one second. Found out where to get a ride and rode it the next day. An impressive engine. It hauled 15 cars and with those curve flange oilers located about every 1/4 miles it slipped only two times. Bark was good and square. Got up in the cab and was shown around. First time I had ever seen a wheel for a reverse lever. And, one and only engine I was ever on that the atomizer shot oil from the rear of the fire box toward the front into an arch.

Date: 12/08/10 13:03
Author: spdaylight

ctjacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice pictures - what's the consist behind the
> Royal Hudson? Thanks.

'McDonald Creek' (baggage/generator car), two ex Waterloo & St. Jacobs coaches (still in their original CNR lookalike paint), 'Paul D Roy' & 'Capilano' (both ex Hudson coaches), and the WCRA open observation car 'Henry Pickering'.

Craig

Date: 12/08/10 13:39
Author: ctjacks

Who owns these cars - especially the ex-W&SJ coaches? Thanks.

Date: 12/08/10 15:13
Author: glcaddis

Great pictures. I've got to get to Canada and see some of this wonderful stuff. The last shot, while not the most scenic, is my favorite since all the autos parked along side the train appear to be Mini Coopers. My train chasing car is a Mini and my dog and I love it.

Date: 12/08/10 15:53
Author: WCMR2008

The coaches are owned by West Coast Railway Association.

The ex W&SJ cars in this consist are 3218 and 3223.
There is also one other ex Hudson coach in our operating consist - Porteau.

A 3rd ex W&SJ coach, 5569, remains stranded in Eastern Canada along with 2 ex W&SJ F9A's 6508 & 6520.

Jeremy

Date: 12/08/10 21:36
Author: scottp

Much better P.R. for L.V. than "the travel bag choice of O.J. Simpson"....

Date: 12/09/10 06:54
Author: oldhound

Hello, first, thanks for the info and for sharing the great photos!!

Also, just wondering if anyone knows what time she is heading back?
Thanks,
Karl

Date: 12/17/10 22:21
Author: burlingtonjohn

If the second shot isn't picture of the day material, I don't know what is ...

Regards,
Burlington John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0777 seconds