Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Steam & Excursion > PBS Panama Canal Program - Steam locomotives

Date: 01/24/11 19:42
PBS Panama Canal Program - Steam locomotives
Author: RuleG

The latest installment in PBS's American Experience show is about the construction of the Panama Canal. There are many short clips of steam locomotives and other rail scenes as well as construction equipment (I learned how to pronounce Bucyrus!). John Stevens, of Great Northern fame, was one of the lead engineers, but he quit (infuriating Teddy Roosevelt through a resignation letter which described the canal project as a "big ditch.")

While not specifically a railroad program, anyone interested in the history of technology and public works will find this to be a worthwhile program.

More information can be found on this link.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/panama/

Date: 01/24/11 20:05
Re: PBS Panama Canal Program - Steam locomotives
Author: asheldrake

MANY thanks for your posting. Program is on Oregon Public Broadcasting tonight beginning at 9:30 PM. Popping popcorn at 9........
Arlen

Date: 01/24/11 20:06
Author: wabash2800

It is my understanding that the conditions that the folks had to bear while building the canal were challenging including malaria.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/11 21:22 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/24/11 20:20
Author: Frisco1522

Wonder how many of the engines survived? One of them ended up at the Eureka Springs and North Arkansas where I saw it running.

Date: 01/24/11 21:09
Author: poffcapt

This is just for RuleG, since he was interested in Bucyrus. This scene is from 1912. Too bad there isn't a trolley in the scene.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/11 21:20 by poffcapt.

Date: 01/25/11 08:15
Author: train671

Though not a steam opportunity, should one take a cruise into or thru the Panama Canal, there is an opportunity
to ride a passenger train operated by Kansas City Southern that includes a former SP Dome car that has been restored
to a wonderful and comfortable status. I had the pleasure of riding round trip from the east side of Panama to the
West and return. The tracks run right by the canal in many parts and the roadbed is well maintained.

Date: 01/25/11 12:14
Author: asheldrake

Excellent program, well worth the 90 minutes. I sure agree with Joe, the KCS excursion train across Panama is well worth
riding. When we rode a couple of years ago the service was excellent, the rail cars first class and the track was
first class (weilded rail, concrete ties). KCS does a LOT of container movement from one side to the other.
As a side note, on our trip I said hello to our engineer and noted that his VIA polo shirt was a LONG way from home. Turns
out he was recently retired from VIA and was down working some months in Panama.........

One wonders what will happen to the railroad once the canal can handle the bigger ships.

I also highly recommend riding this first trans-continnental railway. Arlen

Date: 01/25/11 15:39
Author: nycman

OK Dave, how DO you pronounce "Bucyrus?" We have been discussing the subject on another forum.

Date: 01/25/11 16:45
Author: poffcapt

I believe it is BOO-SI-RUSS.

Barry

Date: 01/25/11 17:51

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK Dave, how DO you pronounce "Bucyrus?" We have
> been discussing the subject on another forum.

If I remember correctly, it is bew-CY-rus.

Here is a TO thread on the pronunciation of Bucyrus!

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,775891

@poffcapt: Thanks for posting the image.

Date: 01/26/11 05:48
Author: srfreer

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> Wonder how many of the engines survived? One of
> them ended up at the Eureka Springs and North
> Arkansas where I saw it running.

Another is in Paterson, NJ.

http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=855

http://steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=855

http://www.patersonmuseum.com/index2.html

Why in Paterson? That's where it was built. "Rogers locomotive works, Paterson, New Jersey was one of the most important locomotive producers in this country in terms of technical improvements and productivity. This shop helped introduce such design reforms as spread-leading trucks, wagon-top boilers and link-motion valve gears. Between 1837 and 1913 it produced nearly 6,200 locomotives. For the most of his existence, it was owned and operated as a family business." (spelling corrected)

Date: 01/26/11 06:57
Author: Lackawanna484

srfreer Wrote:
> Frisco1522 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wonder how many of the engines survived? One
> of
> > them ended up at the Eureka Springs and North
> > Arkansas where I saw it running.
>
> Another is in Paterson, NJ.
>
> http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Displa
> y=855
>
> http://steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=855
>
>
> http://www.patersonmuseum.com/index2.html
>
> Why in Paterson? That's where it was built.
> "Rogers locomotive works, Paterson, New Jersey was
> one of the most important locomotive producers in
> this country in terms of technical improvements
> and productivity. This shop helped introduce such
> design reforms as spread-leading trucks, wagon-top
> boilers and link-motion valve gears. Between 1837
> and 1913 it produced nearly 6,200 locomotives. For
> the most of his existence, it was owned and
> operated as a family business." (spelling
> corrected)

Danforth and Cooke were also locomotive builders in Paterson NJ.

Rogers Works, curiously, was not connected by rail to the national network. Finished locomotives were dragged down the main street to the (then) ground level Erie Railroad, where they were railed. Danforth and Cooke were located near present day Getty Ave / St Joseph Hospital, adjacent to Getty Ave yard.

Date: 01/26/11 07:46
Author: Alco251

The Panama Canal was a major government-funded fiasco until President Theodore Roosevelt asked for help from the private sector. Great Northern Railway President James J. Hill told Roosevelt that there was one person who could turn the whole mess around...John F. Stevens, GN's legendary chief engineer. Stevens went to Panama and did the job, altho he resigned before the canal was completed.

Date: 01/26/11 08:52
Author: DWBrown

I believe that I have seen some photos published recently of a small narrow gauge engine that was abandoned in the one of the lakes that formed the canal. It was raised to the surface a few years ago and put on display alongside one of the locks. The old five foot gauge Panama Canal Railroad was completely abandoned and any remains scrapped. The new Panama Canal Company built a new standard gauge railroad on most of the original right of way. Only diverging off the original route at few places. The new track and trains are all new or rebuilt locos and cars from the US. Also owned by Kansas City Southern.

Dale Brown

Date: 01/26/11 19:53

Alco251 Wrote:
> The Panama Canal was a major government-funded
> fiasco until President Theodore Roosevelt asked
> for help from the private sector. Great Northern
> Railway President James J. Hill told Roosevelt
> that there was one person who could turn the whole
> mess around...John F. Stevens, GN's legendary
> chief engineer. Stevens went to Panama and did the
> job, altho he resigned before the canal was
> completed.

As was described in the program, Stevens resigned well before the canal was completed. It took a government guy to complete the project. Roosevelt appointed Captain George Washington Goethals from the Army Corps of Engineers to lead the project to its completion. Interestingly, Goethals refused to wear a military uniform while on the isthmus.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds