Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Steam & Excursion > West Side Lumber Wednesday - Those Were The Days!

Date: 03/02/11 01:34
West Side Lumber Wednesday - Those Were The Days!
Author: LoggerHogger

While printing some photos to take to this years Winterail, I made came across this great shot of West Side Lumber Shay #9 passing through Camp 8 on her way to Buffalo Landing in June 1959. Her 19 car string of ex: Swayne Lumber Co. empties trails behind the big Shay with the caboose tacked onto the rear.

While the West Side is long gone and only fragments remain, we are lucky that Phil Reader and his crew at the Georgetown Loop Railroad are deep into the 1472-Day inspection and restoration of this beautiful Shay.

Martin

Date: 03/02/11 12:01
Re: West Side Lumber Wednesday - Those Were The Days!
Author: sagehen

It's hard to believe that it lasted until 1960!

I remember talking my parents into driving via Tuolumne City on our way back from Twain Harte - must have been late summer of 1963. In those days it was hard for a kid to find out anything current about railroads. All I knew was what I read in the book "Sierra Railway". I was hoping for Shays, but was happy to see Heisler #3 switching the standard gauge track around the mill. A year or two later, I saw the same locomotive in Felton.

Thanks for posting.

Stan Praisewater

Date: 03/02/11 20:27
Author: spicolli1864

First picture is sometime in the 40S..Westside #3 as the mill switcher with standard gauge trucks..

Second my dad caught the #3 August 1963..on the Westside service spur....

Third #3 at Roaring Camp October 1963..freshly installed narrow gauge trucks from Westside #4
(note still lettered Westside..this picture was taken from the far end of the loop in the meadow

Date: 03/02/11 20:34

Micheal,

All great shots by your Dad. This shows #3 in her transition from her first life to her 2nd.

Martin

Date: 03/02/11 20:41
Author: spicolli1864

How about a few more

#7 August 1964..this little beauty is also at the Roaring Camp...I did a engineer for a day last year funnest time I'v had my entire life...

And the mill...October 1965

#12..#15..#9..August 1964

Date: 03/03/11 05:05

Micehal,

All wonderful shots! Your Dad did a nice job. I remember when I first saw WSL #7, she was on display in Sonora. She is one of those success tales as she was taken off display and restored, first by Glen Bell and now at Felton.

Thanks for the posts.

Martin

Date: 03/03/11 11:58
Author: DKay

How many locos do they have at Felton.I only saw the one small shay when I was there in 04.
Regards,Daryl Kay.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds