Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cheyenne Frontier Days Train

Date: 05/05/11 19:11
Cheyenne Frontier Days Train
Author: JLWII2000

I've got my advance reservation dome tickets purchased for the Cheyenne Frontier Days train, but I don't feel like going to the rodeo. What all is there to do around Cheyenne? This is my first excursion and I want to check out other things instead of the rodeo in Cheyenne. Any suggestions?

Date: 05/05/11 19:52
Re: Cheyenne Frontier Days Train
Author: burlingtonjohn

There is a bridge over the tracks near the depot ... great vantage point to shoot the parade (both shots taken 17 Jul 2004).

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 05/05/11 19:54
Author: DTrainshooter

Spend a half hour checking out the station and museum.
Walk around downtown...there are a few stores worth spending another hour checking out.
If you're hungry or thirsty there's a nice choice of restaurants/bars near the station.
Walk up on the Central Avenue overpass and take in the view...should be plenty of trains to see.
If the UP Roundhouse is open see where the Steam Program operates from.

Date: 05/06/11 01:23
Author: dan

on arrival there is a parade going on, watch that if you want to ignore the engine cutoff and getting turned

Date: 05/06/11 06:02
Author: Lackawanna484

There's a lot of street food and a carnival atmosphere along the main drag in Cheyenne, too.

Date: 05/06/11 07:25
Author: TCnR

Yep, the Depot is the center of the parade and civic activities. At some point they may have really loud bands in the square, but I think that is later in the evening. Lots of people, lots of activity and lots of American flags.

Date: 05/07/11 11:44
Author: AdamPhillips

Go see the Big Boy in Holliday Park.

Date: 05/07/11 11:48
Author: TCnR

AdamPhillips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go see the Big Boy in Holliday Park.

It's a bit of a walk. A little further down the road are some stores, restaurants and fast food places. Pretty cool to see it though, nice little park setting.

Date: 05/07/11 16:41
Author: Shayno6

The wife and I stayed in our van over night in the station parking lot it was neat I believe Cheyenne is the place they do all there crew changes believe it or not it was fun and she enjoyed it too. We spent some time at holiday park and walked around the big boy and took some pictures. They do have some signs up telling you not to park in the station lot until 5 Pm we asked the man on duty if we could park there all night and he said yes after 5Pm.We did not have a chance to go threw the round house because this was last Sept. and every body in the steam program was on the road. have a good time I know you will!Shayno6!

Roger L. Routzon
Medina, OH

Date: 05/10/11 19:48
Author: JLWII2000

cool thanks for all the info guys! Now I'm just "hoping" that the UP steam crew will let me wander around the roundhouse (perhaps inside).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds