Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&TS bridge repair

Date: 05/19/11 11:18
C&TS bridge repair
Author: Q5632West

Hi all:

My colleague Bob Martin flew over and walked on the Cumbres & Toltec's fire-damaged Lobato trestle yesterday for a story broadcast last night on KRQE-TV. The $2 million repair is supposed to be done and ready for testing this weekend with the bridge open for the start of the season on May 28.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/business/steam-railroad-overcoming-bridge-fire

Bill

-30-

Date: 05/19/11 12:05
Re: C&TS bridge repair
Author: ngfan

Thanks for posting this news video....glad things are coming together for the start of the new season.
Ngfan

Date: 05/19/11 19:10
Author: P

Thanks for posting.

I've crossed that trestle, but am more impressed by seeing it in this video than I was in person.

I hope to make it back there someday. It is truly a special place.

Date: 05/20/11 00:20
Author: Harlock

Here's a press release they just issued.

"CHAMA, N.M. – It will be a very joyful day in Chama around the middle of next week, when the first steam train to enter the town in almost a year arrives from Antonito. Construction on the fire-damaged Lobato Trestle is proceeding on a pace that will permit the return of the train with days to spare in preparation for opening day May 28.

The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad will kick off its back-from-the-ashes season on that Saturday, with opening day festivities in Chama and in Antonito, Colo., the two ends of the historic 64-mile mountain steam railroad.

“We are telling the world we’re back, we’re better than ever – and we’re ready to report to our visitors and friends on how far we’ve come,” said Elmer H. Salazar, president of the C&TSRR Management Co., which operates the line. “We were well along in our multi-year upgrading of the line and its equipment – when the Lobato Trestle fire sent us into a tailspin last summer.”

Salazar recalled how Chama was cut off from the line when the June fire rendered the Lobato Trestle unserviceable. Passengers were transported by motor coach to the Cumbres Station, up the line – but the rumor persisted that the line was closed down. It was a tense year in which the damage was assessed, the repair budget determined, the necessary funding secured and the construction project launched. The tourist economy of Chama was hard hit by the railroad’s setback.

But now all elements are poised for a big year for Chama and its visitors, as the trestle is almost completely repaired and service is set to be back to normal -- but better than ever.

“I can’t say enough about the can-do spirit of Reiman Corporation SW’s crew (the contractor for the trestle repair). We experienced a delay in the start of the project, but even with the shortened timeline they pitched in and got it done, Salazar said. “Now the trestle’s ready to go, the years of work are evident in the condition of the track – and we’ve given special attention to the locomotives and cars, painted and shined to possibly the best condition they have ever been in.”

The staff and crews of the line are anxious to show off their work in getting equipment and operations to a high degree of readiness for the season.

“This line belongs to the people of New Mexico and Colorado – literally, and we hope they will come up in large numbers to inspect our stewardship of this unique treasure,” Salazar said. “We expect to make them proud of how much we have accomplished.”

A variety of events, from posting of the colors, to Indian dancers from Santa Clara Pueblo and the Jicarilla Apache nation, and comments by local civic leaders will highlight the festivities. Trains will depart from Antonito and Chama bound for Osier, Colorado for the classic “mid-day, mid-way feast stop” especially prepared by Narrow Gauge Catering to inaugurate the season. “From our office staffs to our train crews, everyone is enthusiastic about this year’s season,” Salazar said. “This train has been a part of the two communities since its construction in the 1880’s and these people have worked for generations to keep it alive and exciting. “

With the smell of coal smoke and the echo of the steam whistle, the railroading heart of Chama and Antonito will come to life on May 28."

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 05/22/11 17:58
Author: Abqfoamer

Mike, that release is fantasy. As of today (Sunday) the bridge's six damaged spans have been cleared of burned track and walkway, but have not yet been removed. The contractor is setting up a complicated system to replace the spans with the new ones still lying in the Chama depot lot, along with the ~300 new ties, rail and track parts, walkway lumber.

Curiously, there seems to be no hurry, no overtime work going on.
Management has no Plan B.

I would be astonished should Lobato be done and tested by next Saturday, C&TS opening day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/11 18:01 by Abqfoamer.

Date: 05/22/11 19:41
Author: rehunn

Span a day, plus the tie work and rail, figure 13 working days minimum.

Date: 05/22/11 23:07
Author: SCAX3401

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Span a day, plus the tie work and rail, figure 13
> working days minimum.

The information I was told back last week was that all but one span had been replaced. I was thinking, way to go...it will happen on-time after all. Now I see photos and video that show only the old rail and remaining burnt ties have been removed and prep work for replacing the spans was still underway. I agree that it will take at least two weeks and probably four or five to complete this project. No work on anything as old as this 1880 bridge is easy and it never goes according to schedule.

Date: 05/23/11 09:13
Author: jbwest

Given the magnitude of the bridge repairs, I am just pleased the work is getting done. Getting it done by opening day always seemed a bit optimistic to me, but looks as if they will come close. I'm just glad that the C&TS still has a future. If the bridge isn't finished by opening day presumably Chama passengers will be bussed to Cumbres as they were last year after the fire, until the work is done. Kudos to the C&TS Commission and the State of New Mexico for getting this done as quickly as they have. And as I understand it, the repaired bridge will retain about the same appearance as the original.

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds