Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Steam & Excursion > Locomotive ID help

Date: 05/25/11 17:00
Locomotive ID help
Author: dmaffei

Wondering if anyone could possibly ID the heritage of this locomotive? 728 is having a bad day, but from the look of the motion blur of the crew at work, the passengers will not have too wait much longer!

Date: 05/25/11 17:25
Re: Locomotive ID help
Author: wabash2800

I'll take a SWAG guess and says its either a 4-4-0 or 4-6-0, no bigger than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/11 17:32 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/25/11 18:39
Author: Hillcrest

Here's my SWAG....Northern Pacific C-3 class 4-4-0. Just feels right to me...

Cheers, Dave

Date: 05/26/11 00:25
Author: poffcapt

"from the look of the motion blur of the crew at work, the passengers will not have too wait much longer!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait for what? From the looks of those passenger cars at various angles, no one is going anywhere for a while.

Barry Stone
Edmonds, WA

Date: 05/26/11 10:30
Author: 6ET

Hillcrest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's my SWAG....Northern Pacific C-3 class
> 4-4-0. Just feels right to me...
>
> Cheers, Dave

The cab windows and dome's dont match up for the NP C-3 Locomotives. I am thinking it is a UP/SP "Harriman" era locomotive of some sort.

Date: 05/26/11 17:17
Author: west

Hi,

I'm going to go out on a big limb here, but the locomotive looks to my (old) eyes to be a camelback. I say this because the distance between the stack, 2 domes and cab looks to be very short.
In addition, the cab looks very tall compared to the derailed tender (which could be off its trucks though).

I'd guess Lehigh Valley RR in Pennsylvania, but I don't have an LV steam roster to know if the number series is correct.

Maybe someone on the Eastern RR discussion might know.

???

Don

Date: 05/26/11 17:40
Author: LarryDoyle

2nd (detail) post shows no evidence of a firebox anywhere near the width required to burn anthricite. Plus, the steam dome is in front of the cab.

Naw... this engine was never fed that stuff.

-Larry Doyle

Date: 05/26/11 17:59
Author: africansteam

west Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to go out on a big limb here, but the
> locomotive looks to my (old) eyes to be a
> camelback. I say this because the distance
> between the stack, 2 domes and cab looks to be
> very short.

I think Don may be on the right track based on this photo of Central Railroad of New Jersey No.585. The locomotive in the photo looks to be a Vauclain Compound, whereas the locomotive in question has D valves, but many other similarities are apparent.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_cnj585.jpg

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 05/26/11 18:27
Author: LarryDoyle

dmaffei Wrote:
> Wondering if anyone could possibly ID the heritage
> of this locomotive? 728 is having a bad day, but
> from the look of the motion blur of the crew at
> work, the passengers will not have too wait much
> longer!

My guess is that the people recorded on this immage were groupies, not passengers. I mean, how long would it take YOU to figure out that those workin' from the front end back were not gonna piece this whole thing back together before either:
a) the dispatcher and super figured out you were more than a little bit late, or
b) your wife, or significant other, might have noted you were more than late for dinner.
So, they were there because they wanted to be, not because they had to be. Otherwise, why hang around? Why not walk home, and file a lawsuit later?

Besides, the code line is still intact.

The ties add more to this story. They've been adzed. They were in bad shape to begin with... rotted, then lowered to the level that would provide an acceptable surface, despite the fact that they couldn't hold the rails 56 1/2 inches apart. Cheap, but, a bad tie can provide few more days use.

This ain't no Class One!

-Larry Doyle

Date: 05/26/11 23:07
Author: SF3751

poffcapt Wrote:
> Wait for what? From the looks of those passenger
> cars at various angles, no one is going anywhere
> for a while.
>
> Barry Stone
> Edmonds, WA

Early testing of angeled curves :)

Date: 05/27/11 08:15
Author: wabash2800

Cinder or slag Ballast?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/11 12:49 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds