Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Reflection On Fall Photo Specials - Northwest Style!!

Date: 10/08/11 17:32
A Reflection On Fall Photo Specials - Northwest Style!!
Author: LoggerHogger

While many are talking about the recent East Broad Top Fall trip and the several Colorado fall trips, let me reflect on steam photo freights here in the spectacular Northwest.

As many of you know, I have been running photo freights for more than 25 years now. I have covered most of the steam railroads in the West. What you may not know is that Fall is still my favorite time of the year to run one of these trips and capture great steam photography.

Sure I have done many trips other times of the year such as winter runs in deep snow and spring runs with great budding color. However, give me Fall for the cool mornings and brilliant light blazing in the myriad of changing leaf colors. The low morning and afternoon light with the cold temperatures makes such photography wonderful to experiance.

Here are just a few samples of what you can achieve in the Northwest in the Fall. I am off next weekend to Sumpter to again run the Fall Foliage trains. Wood smoke, Fall colors, and crisp mountain air... ah, yes, that is what Fall steam trips are all about!

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/11 17:35 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/08/11 17:44
Re: A Reflection On Fall Photo Specials - Northwest Sty
Author: wmbrakeman

great photo's , all them very good i would give the wow factor award to first one with pond reflecting engine ,thanks for posting

Date: 10/08/11 19:26
Author: nycman

The Sumpter Valley is for sure one of the photogenic hotspots for steam in the northwest. This shot from Martin's 2003 special at SV, from a little different angle.

Date: 10/09/11 00:27
Author: Harlock

martin I really like that first image, it is unique. The balloon / onion stack really adds to it, and obviously the wind is dead calm. Is this just before sunrise? NYCman great shot too.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 10/09/11 06:10

Mike,

The first image was actually just at sunrise. There had been a controled burn in the forest the day before and the smoke settled in the Sumpter Valley that night. It cleared out later in the day, but it made for a nice affect in the dead calm stillness of the early Fall morning.

Martin

Date: 10/09/11 07:57
Author: jkh2cpu

Number One is top 'o the heap, in my estimation.

Fine shots, all.

John.

Date: 10/09/11 13:21
Author: m1bprr

Just wondering, who is Martin E. Hanson? Is he still with us? Been enjoying his pix for some time now.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 10/09/11 13:41

Gee, I will have to check with the guy in the mirror. Now I know how Mark Twain felt.

Martin

Date: 10/09/11 14:08
Author: m1bprr

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee, I will have to check with the guy in the
> mirror. Now I know how Mark Twain felt.
>
> Martin

Ahh, your still here! Judging by your old stuff you must be around my age. lol.
Ed K.

Date: 10/10/11 08:04
Author: YG

You don't need to sell me on the merits of autumn in the Northwest....your beautiful examples tell the story!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 10/10/11 19:41
Author: VERNON1946

LOVE NO. 3

Also No. 4

(Actually, I love them all!)

VERY V-E-R-Y GOOD, SIR.*

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds