Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Steam & Excursion > 10/1 765 Ithaca-Cadillac Vid...

Date: 10/16/11 21:42
10/1 765 Ithaca-Cadillac Vid...
Author: thefracturedfrog

Well... I got it all together... Then I realized I can't go over 6 min per vid. So, here is what is left. Sorry for the quality. This was my first time doing video.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/17/11 07:34
Re: 10/1 765 Ithaca-Cadillac Vid...
Author: thehighwayman

thefracturedfrog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well... I got it all together... Then I realized I
> can't go over 6 min per vid. So, here is what is
> left. Sorry for the quality. This was my first
> time doing video.

I agree -- cutting to the 6 minute limit is sometimes difficult!

What editing software are you using? Does it give you the option to insert "transitions" (wipes, fades etc)?

The following comments are meant as suggestions -- they are NOT criticisms! (I wish my first effort was as good as yours!)

1: Try to use a few pan shots ... the one shot at about the 3/4 mark where the 765 was moving relatively slowly would have been a great opportunity to have your camera follow the locomotive as she went past you.

2: If you can, try to use some sort of transition when going from one shot to the next. "Jump cuts" have their place, but can sometimes be confusing and distracting to the viewer.

3: One way to get around the 6 min limit on TO is to put together two or three videos, each one about 5 or 6 min long. Yes, it will take longer to upload (and download) - but the type of material you showed us is well worthwhile! I would be quite happy to download more!

4: I certainly hope your video wins "Video Of The Day!"

Will

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/11 07:35 by thehighwayman.

Date: 10/17/11 12:04
Author: BobP

Steam engines + cold weather + a haunting whistle = one neat video even if it was your first time.

Date: 10/17/11 13:26
Author: jerryheng

Cool video! Best of the bunch! Thanks for posting. - Jerry

Date: 10/17/11 16:20

Thanks for the suggestions.

I use iMovie. I did do one pan shot. I failed. Miserably. It was in the original 9 minute video, but I chose to chop it out. I had never done video before and wanted to see how my sister's little handycam worked so we took it out. Could've been better. Could've been worse.

I was thinking about doing two shorter ones, but I had already hacked it up so I just went with it.

-Froggie

Date: 10/17/11 17:30

Here's what didn't make it into the first video. Sorry about the pan shot. You may need to keep a chunder bucket on hand. I was panning with one hand and taking pictures with my SLR with the other... And worrying more about the pictures, honestly.

-Froggie

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/17/11 17:56

And sorry for the title typo. D'OH!

Date: 10/17/11 18:34
Author: SR_Krause

You got me all excited! I thought you'd found an active Nickel Plate mikado! :-) Thanks for sharing - wonderful weather and wonderful vids!

Date: 10/17/11 20:38
Author: thehighwayman

thefracturedfrog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's what didn't make it into the first video.
> Sorry about the pan shot. You may need to keep a
> chunder bucket on hand. I was panning with one
> hand and taking pictures with my SLR with the
> other... And worrying more about the pictures,
> honestly.
>

Nope ... bucket not needed!! LOL!

I learned the hard way too -- you can't shoot video and stills at the same time -- and do proper justice to either one!
As for your pan shot, sure the first part of it was too fast and a bit rough, but once you got the pacing right, it worked very well for a first effort!
And thanks for posting the extra material!!!
Will

Date: 10/17/11 22:29
Author: spdaylight

Great effort for your first vid! Love the steam in the cold air forming shadows over the train and coming down over the consist . . . very nice!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds