Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Steam & Excursion > Simpson Logging Co.- Last Steamer - Look At The Faces!

Date: 12/18/11 16:32
Simpson Logging Co.- Last Steamer - Look At The Faces!
Author: LoggerHogger

Simpson Timber Co. of Shelton, WA had one of the most impressive steam logging shows in the Pacific Northwest. Started by Sol Simpson at the first of the last Century this logging railroad once boasted all 3 types of geared engines and a fleet of Baldwin logging “Lokies” that would be the envy of most loggers of the day.

By September 1956, Simpson had purchased enough new diesels it was time to retire the last of the faithful Simpson steamers. Chosen to pull the “Last Steam Logger” was Simpson Logging 2-8-2 #9. This engine was built by Baldwin in 1910 and was later named “Benjamin Snider”.

Many Railfans followed the run of #9 from Shelton to Camp Grisdale on that September 1956 day. However, let’s remember the men who toiled on this fine engine for her 46 year career in the woods. The first photo is a fine portrait of the men who daily served as the engine crew and train crew for this 90-ton Baldwin Mike. In this photo none are thinking of her last run, just their next run.

Unfortunately #9 met the fate of most of the Simpson Timber fleet and was scrapped soon after the last run in September, 1956. Fortunately for me, with the help of 3 different friends of mine, several pieces of Simpson #9 have survived in my collection. They serve as a reminder of a fine Northwest Logging Locomotive.

Martin

Date: 12/18/11 16:32
Re: Simpson Logging Co.- Last Steamer - Look At The Fac
Author: LoggerHogger

Here is the original builders of #9 photo that hung in the Simpson Logging Co. offices in Shelton for decades.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/11 16:33 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/18/11 17:08
Re: Simpson Logging Co.- Last Steamer - Look At The Fac
Author: IC_2024

Great stuff! Glad that you've preserved part of 'ol #9 in your collection.
I toured Simpson w/ my dad on a trip to the Pac Northwest in '80... was a great tour followed by a chase of the log train. Neat operation!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds