Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Steam & Excursion > 844 Centennial trip

Date: 12/23/11 14:46
844 Centennial trip
Author: RailVideo

Hi, folks -

Question - anyone know who was in all those passenger cars on the UP 844 Centennial trip that just ran? Shippers? Local pols? 1%ers?

Date: 12/23/11 15:06
Re: 844 Centennial trip
Author: HotWater

Invited guests of Union Pacific.

Date: 12/23/11 15:20

Can you say more? Doctors/lawyers/chiefs, pols, shippers? Just a general idea would be helpful - we're writing a script for our upcoming show.

Date: 12/23/11 15:25
Author: HotWater

Sorry, that was all the Union Pacific Public Relations Dept. ever released, in years past.

Date: 12/23/11 15:30

Thanks -

Date: 12/23/11 22:54
Author: The_Chief_Way

some segments hosted school kids and regular folks from area communities

Date: 12/23/11 22:55
Author: randyr

I have a couple items to share. First when I went down to see the 844(4) when it was on display in Phoenix, I was talking with a member of the steam crew about the extra cars that were added after the train arrived in PHX. As I recall they brought in a lounge car, the two dome observations (Harriman and City of SF) and some sleepers. The gentleman I talked to mentioned that UP had flown out one of their executive chefs from Omaha for some entertaining of shippers and politicians while the train was parked in PHX.

While waiting for the train to come back through Gilbert, SE of PHX I ran into a couple of fans who had ridden from Coolidge to Gilbert. I asked them how they got tickets. Turned out some local politicians were invited to ride, but were unable to due to schedule conflicts. I believe these gentlemen had a connection with the city, Chamber of Commerce or something like that. They stated that UP was pretty strict who was allowed to ride and tickets were non-transferable. But the night before, the local civic leaders were able to get UP to change the tickets so these gentlemen could ride.

So I think to answer your question, local community leaders and probably shippers rode the train. I would imagine mostly on short segments. Recall the original consist only had the dome car Challenger and coach Texas Eagle. I would assume UP used the train for PR to the masses, witness the crowds who came out to see it, and for working on relationships with local and state politicians and shippers. No matter the motives, reasons for the trip, it was great to see the 844(4) in Arizona.

Randy in PHX, actually Gilbert, AZ

Date: 12/24/11 09:39
Author: PHall

RailVideo, if you don't want to upset the folks at UP just stick with "invited guests of the Union Pacific Railroad".
That's their company line and it should keep you in good graces with the UP PR Department.

Date: 12/25/11 10:24

We'll keep it generic - happy railroads are accessible railroads. More or less, anyway.

Date: 12/27/11 14:02
Author: railrunner

some VERY VIPS!!!!!!!

Date: 12/27/11 14:12

Clearly!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds