Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Steam & Excursion > Age of Steam Roundhouse

Date: 01/07/12 20:19
Age of Steam Roundhouse
Author: columbusrailnut

I found some photos online from inside the roundhouse. These are not my photos, I am just re posted what I found online. I will point out, the roundhouse is not open for tours, this was a private tour. Enjoy.

fredstuckmann.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=75094
fredstuckmann.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=75097
fredstuckmann.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=75112
fredstuckmann.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=75370

Bruce Bryan
Greensburg, IN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/12 20:20 by columbusrailnut.

Date: 01/07/12 20:41
Re: Age of Steam Roundhouse
Author: nycman

Jerry has a magnificent showplace there. Hope someday that the rest of us can visit it, a shrine to what steam used to be.

Date: 01/07/12 20:58
Author: bigjim4life

Wow - these are great photos!

Date: 01/08/12 08:14
Author: UPTRAIN

That place is awesome. It will be even better when there's a bunch of hot steam engines inside it.

Pump

Date: 01/09/12 16:19
Author: oldhound

I have a few questions that the Age of Steam Website doesn't specifically address, so perhaps somebody here can answer.

1) I know that during construction they generally don't want people around (and I have yet to see any dates/times on the website where people can attend), but once everything is completed will there be access for the public? If so, any idea when the first "open house" might be?

2) The website mentions that they want to, "Fire-up and operate the steam locomotives on non-passenger carrying freight trains", so does this mean they will use their own freight consist and zoom around on a neighboring mainline, or do they plan to do some revenue hauling for the mainline?

Thanks in advance,
Karl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/12 16:28 by oldhound.

Date: 01/09/12 17:24
Author: columbusrailnut

oldhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a few questions that the Age of Steam
> Website doesn't specifically address, so perhaps
> somebody here can answer.
>
> 1) I know that during construction they generally
> don't want people around (and I have yet to see
> any dates/times on the website where people can
> attend), but once everything is completed will
> there be access for the public? If so, any idea
> when the first "open house" might be?
>
> 2) The website mentions that they want to,
> "Fire-up and operate the steam locomotives on
> non-passenger carrying freight trains", so does
> this mean they will use their own freight consist
> and zoom around on a neighboring mainline, or do
> they plan to do some revenue hauling for the
> mainline?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Karl

While I am not speaking for the roundhouse, my understanding is they MAY open it. It depends on what Jerry feels like doing (this is HIS toy after all), but it sounds like chances are good. They own a fleet of vintage freight cars so I imagine that is what they will pull. Or maybe they will run an empty passenger train for fun, they have been repainting the light weight cars. Only time will tell, but I would fasten your seat belt, this could be a wild ride.

Bruce Bryan
Greensburg, IN

Date: 01/11/12 06:47
Author: trainrider47

One source that I spoke with indicated that Jerry has made the building completely authentic for the steam era and that as a result it is not ADA compliant. This would make opening it to the public very problematic. Possibly invited parties may be able to visit, but as a public venue, it may have to wait until the foundation that Jerry established to carry on after his passing takes over. Could be a long wait.

Date: 01/13/12 22:56
Author: tinytrains

Sooner or later the tax benefits of being a museum will be too tempting. A lot of airports have a visitor day, so the vintage plane owners can claim to part of a museum. Or he will find something else of interest to spend his money on and spin it off as a non-profit. Too much money has been invested to just be someones toy forever.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 01/18/12 19:44
Author: cforssi

I could not view the pictures. Says it is expired.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds