Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Steam & Excursion > "Cloudburst on Caliente Creek" (1932)

Date: 04/27/12 18:34
"Cloudburst on Caliente Creek" (1932)
Author: KeyRouteKen

Looks like SP 4-10-2 # 5036 got "derailed" by heavy rain. Wonder how they got this girl out of there ?

Photo by the late Jim Shattock
Foreman, SP Welding Gang # 23 (System)

(my Dad)

KRK

Date: 04/27/12 18:44
Re: "Cloudburst on Caliente Creek" (1932)
Author: Frisco1522

The book "Three Barrels of Steam" covered the flood and recovery of the SP and ATSF locomotives. It's a great read and has a chapter devoted to it.

Date: 04/27/12 19:03
Author: africansteam

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
--Wonder how they got this girl out of there?

With much difficulty.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 04/27/12 23:49
Author: lwilton

I wonder if it was "much" difficulty, at least compared to normal railroading practice of the era?

Back in 1932 I'd bet the RR could have just pushed a temporary grade with a track or two in beside the engine, pretty much without asking much of anyone, and brought in a hook. I suspect if they drained the engine and tender the hook could probably either drag or lift the stuff onto the same track with the okk, or a temp track beside it. After a while you can couple to the thing and drag it out of there. I imagine then they would pull up the temp rail and let the normal track and bridge crews get on with rebuilding the line.

Date: 04/28/12 08:32
Author: Frisco1522

Looking at the book, this was the easy one to retrieve. The Santa Fe 2-10-2 actually washed down the creek and was buried. It was a melluva hess!

Date: 04/28/12 08:56
Author: spengr80

Supposedly, the bell off that Santa Fe is still buried somewhere down in the creek...Anybody got a metal detector?

Date: 04/29/12 07:30
Author: BCHellman

spengr80 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Supposedly, the bell off that Santa Fe is still
> buried somewhere down in the creek...Anybody got a
> metal detector?

In looking for the bell, you might discover a few bodies. The exact number lost to the flood was never known.

Date: 04/29/12 09:09
Author: Spikes

Date: 05/01/12 11:44
Author: DocJones

The actual site was a place called El Rita. It's at the north end of the long straight stretch that forms most of the Woodford siding. Both the track and Tehachapi Creek turn there. One landmark that survived the flood was the old Keene post office. It was recently sold by the estate of the original owner who was a railroader.
Hope this helps,
Have fun, be safe,
Bruce "Doc" Jones
Sierra Madre CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.067 seconds