Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Steam & Excursion > A 261 Break...

Date: 05/23/12 08:14
A 261 Break...
Author: Milw_E70

From back when I had just upgraded to a DSLR and was still trying to figure it out. These are from August 19, 2008.

1. Pulling into Portage, WI.
2. Along the Mississippi River between La Crosse, WI and Winona, MN.
3. Over a bridge somewhere between Winona and Weaver, MN.

Thanks for looking!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/12 08:18 by Milw_E70.

Date: 05/23/12 09:09
Re: A 261 Break...
Author: train671

The dilemma of this route for the 261 is that there are so many photogenic spots along the way between Minneapolis and La Crescent
that it is hard to get them all in. But the bigger dilemma is chasing this old beauty OR being aboard for the trip. One of the
best approaches is to ride one day and then chase one day. Definitely a winning combination. The "onboard" service is wonderful
and if your budget allows then consider "upgrading" to the dome or "Cedar Rapids." You won't regret the "upgrade" experience.
The progress on the engine appears to be going well SO with a little bit of luck the 261 will be out later on this year doing
some "tune-up" runs and then maybe we will see her pulling her favorite consist later on this year. A great organization and
a wonderful and unique way to spend a weekend along the Mississippi River aboard the 261.

Date: 05/23/12 10:02
Author: SCKP187

Awesome photos Austin--really like #1. Thanks for showing.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/23/12 10:16
Author: unseenthings

Stirs the excitement to see her run again, very soon I hope.

Date: 05/23/12 10:27
Author: Mudrock

Yes the Friends of the Milwaukee Road is a great organization and please support the engine once it is back on the rails.

Chris

Date: 05/23/12 10:52
Author: davebb71

great pics. photo 3 is at weaver, mn crossing the whitewater river bridge. dave, out.

Date: 05/23/12 11:42
Author: YG

It looks like you suceeded in "figuring it out" - all wonderful photos!

Everything I've been reading and hearing has been positive regarding progress on 261. If you haven't already done so, join the Friends of the 261 at http://www.261.com. You will be helping to support the steam program, plus you get regular updates on progress, advance notifications about upcoming events, etc.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 05/23/12 16:17
Author: RuleG

train671 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The dilemma of this route for the 261 is that
> there are so many photogenic spots along the way
> between Minneapolis and La Crescent
> that it is hard to get them all in. But the
> bigger dilemma is chasing this old beauty OR being
> aboard for the trip. One of the
> best approaches is to ride one day and then chase
> one day. Definitely a winning combination. The
> "onboard" service is wonderful
> and if your budget allows then consider
> "upgrading" to the dome or "Cedar Rapids." You
> won't regret the "upgrade" experience.
> The progress on the engine appears to be going
> well SO with a little bit of luck the 261 will be
> out later on this year doing
> some "tune-up" runs and then maybe we will see her
> pulling her favorite consist later on this year.
> A great organization and
> a wonderful and unique way to spend a weekend
> along the Mississippi River aboard the 261.

I dealt with the dilemma by riding a 2010 fundraiser trip which had an Amtrak diesel, but all of the cool passenger cars. I rode in the dome and peaked in the Cedar Rapids. Had a great time.

Date: 05/23/12 20:31
Author: train671

I also dealt with the dilemma the last time I was in the Twin Cities by leaving my video camera home and bringing along
a friend and we rode the Cedar Rapids one day and the Dome the next day. We got off at Winona one day and went into
town and had a great lunch and then stayed on board the second day and enjoyed the trip down to La Crescent and then backed
around that big wye there. The service aboard the 261 by all the volunteers and the culinary talents of "Chef Joey" are
just wonderful. Can't image that traveling in the "old days" aboard those great trains would have produced any level of
service that was better then what is enjoyed aboard the current version of the "Milwaukee Road."

Date: 05/25/12 11:18
Author: bxa1

it would be a great scene if the #265 (in mothballs at IRM-Union Illinois) and the #261 could do a doubleheader with all the Milwaukee Road cars from MSP (Minneapolis St Paul) to MKE (Milwaukee). If Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and the Facebook CEO could kick in about $100 million dollars each, this type of event could happen. Sorry, I am having a dream :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0758 seconds