Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Steam & Excursion > NS - Thanks for all that you do

Date: 06/04/12 19:25
NS - Thanks for all that you do
Author: Frisco1351

Norfolk Southern, thank you for all that you do. Thank you for following in the footsteps of the Southern Railway...Safety 1st.

If steam engines were operating commonly on todays rail lines, many many more yellow/green vests would be common. I believe in the 21st century's legal climate that wearing safety clothing and utilizing both railroad and local police to make sure everyone stays safely back from your property...is genius. I am sure it is a small price to pay for being able to run 100+ year old mainline steam. I am sure that "visual" price helps to keep the trips insurable/affordable.

I am sorry that some of the very rail fans that are here can't keep their zeal in check. Wear those safety vests, glasses, and do whatever you need to do to show us all a good time.

Again, thank you! I personally can't wait to see the 630 steam into Roanoke...it will be wicked!

Date: 06/05/12 03:35
Re: NS - Thanks for all that you do
Author: andersonb109

Ok, I'll buy into it for people on the ground working near the line or in the case of the photo in question, in an active parking lot. But is it really necessary for those in the cab? Railways aside, it seems in many other countries it's much more prevalent than here. Walk down any street in London and the dam vests (orange there) are everywhere...seemingly on people with no need at all just going about their daily business.

Date: 06/05/12 05:56
Author: Tominde

Question on Safety vest in the cab of a handfired coal burning engine. I certainly do not want anything Nylon or Polyester anywhere near that firebox door when it is open. I've always been taught to keep it all cotton as much as possible. Is that somewhat of a safety issue?

Date: 06/05/12 06:50
Author: Frisco1351

The fact of the matter is, the safety vests are not going away. I have friends that work for several railroads...and yes...even in the cabs they wear their safety gear. The very reason that employees are wearing safety orange, yellow, green, whatever...and you are noticing their brightness...shows they are achieving the goal of keeping visible to everyone.

I am sure if there was a risk of steam service employees bursting into spontaneous flame...they wouldn't wear the vests.

We are operating in a 2012 world, not in 1915 anymore.

Date: 06/05/12 07:59
Author: rehunn

Synthetics around an open fire are NOT a good idea, "burst in flame" or not. If the concept was really
about "safety" in the cab they would be wearing a cotton or Nomex garment, color as required. Safety
in this day and age is now all about compliance to a set of rules drawn up in a room full of consultants
and may or may not be generic to the required task.

Date: 06/05/12 11:27
Author: nstsa

Vest are not required to be on while in the cab of the locomotive.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/05/12 18:44
Author: OKTrainboys

Yes, yes, yes! Thnk you! NS!!
Now PLEASE go get j611, replace the flues, oil her up, and let those sweet roller bearings roll!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds