Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Steam & Excursion > Southern 630 Proud to be an American

Date: 06/13/12 18:15
Southern 630 Proud to be an American
Author: Tominde

I had the pleasure to be at NC Transportation Museum last Saturday and got to see the Southern 630 running mainline employee specials from the museum. I first saw 630 coming off the wye and heading north on the Atlanta Washington Mainline. She was making 25-30 mph. Not great pictures but I just happened to the grade crossing as it was activated.

Then we see it up close laying over at the museum. Upon close inspection something is not quite right. Perhaps I will play "What's wrong here?"

Date: 06/13/12 18:47
Re: Southern 630 Proud to be an American
Author: patd3985

There's not a dozen people around it with yellow hard hats and "puke green" vests!

Date: 06/13/12 19:19

No, but a guy with a green vest will fix what's wrong.

Date: 06/13/12 19:46
Author: nycman

The American flag is on the wrong side, or else the other flag may have been an American flag but has lost its colors.

Date: 06/13/12 19:52
Author: trainapproaching

I wonder if there is a no vestibuling rule on these trips.

Date: 06/13/12 20:07
Author: Clinchfield3000

One flag is an NS 21st Century Steam flag while the other is an American flag.

Date: 06/14/12 05:38

I spent 30 years wearing a US Army uniform. I saw the backwards flags and went over to an NS "official". We chatted and I pointed out the mistake. He thanked me and disappeared into the cab and moments later the "flagman" appeared and changed the flags. Yes the white flag is the NS 21st century steam flag.

The NS Steam program is a real winner. The short trips sure make sense. Great family outings, fewer cars required, multiple trips mean you ride one and chase another, simplified railroad logistics. The public trips are this weekend. Sure wish I could go back.

Changing the flags

Properly showing the colors

Departing NCTM at Spencer

Date: 06/14/12 06:51
Author: YG

Nice photos and comments. The last photo is great!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4559 seconds