Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Steam & Excursion > Questions for Martin

Date: 06/24/12 16:04
Questions for Martin
Author: lynnpowell

Back in December of 1968, I rode the NP "Pool Passenger train" from Tacoma to Portland. Along the way, I believe in Centralia, parked on a siding on the east side of the mainline were several retired geared logging locomotives. A year passed before I got a car and could go searching for them, and by that time, they were gone. Can you tell me anything about these locomotives? What types were they and what logging company did they come from? What happened to them?

Date: 06/24/12 16:17
Re: Questions for Martin
Author: LoggerHogger

What you saw were Shays #1 and #3 from the Eastern Ry & Lumber Company of Centrailia, WA. Both were moved to Snoqulamie in 1969. One is still there (#1) and #3 which was privately owned was sold 10 years ago to the Cass Scenic RR and moved back there.

Martin

S.A. Agnew Lumber Company #1 Lima 1904 3-Truck Shay C/N 911
Last operated 1951; ex. Eastern Railway & Lumber Company #1. Second oldest surviving 3-Truck Shay. 1964gift of S. A. Agnew Lumber Co.

S.A. Agnew Lumber #3 Lima C/N 3142 (1920). EX: Eastern Ry & Lumber #3. Sold to private party. Now owned by Cass Scenic RR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/12 16:49 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/24/12 16:54
Author: lynnpowell

Martin, thank you for the quick response, and with photos! I always thought that they probably got scrapped as they sat. I thought that I had missed my opportunity to photograph these lokies, but as luck would have it, I now realize that I actually got them later at the Snoqulamie Falls Museum grounds in 1970!

Date: 06/25/12 00:40
Author: poffcapt

Martin, you are amazing!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds