Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Steam & Excursion > Boiler Metal at at Temperature of 5,000 Deg F

Date: 09/13/12 13:01
Boiler Metal at at Temperature of 5,000 Deg F
Author: Kimball

Well, at least that how hot the arc is! These shots show Carson + Colorado #18 getting new stay bolts welded, and the Johnson bar installed. She is located in Indepence CA right off hwy 395, which can be seen in the backgound. I stopped by on Aug 30 and grabbed these shots. Check out their website "carsoncolorado.com"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/12 14:12 by Kimball.

Date: 09/13/12 18:40
Re: Boiler Metal at at Temperature of 5,000 Deg F
Author: rehunn

As I said on the MILW U25B post, when in doubt, send money.

Date: 09/14/12 10:34
Author: DocJones

It's wonderful that the 18 is getting the work done. I've seen that engine sitting in the park for more years than I care to confess and I'd always hoped she would run someday. Begs the question, though - WHERE is she going to run?

Have fun, be safe,

Bruce "Doc" Jones
Sierra Madre CA

Date: 09/14/12 19:37
Author: filmteknik

I don't know much about boiler work but aren't those grid lines very widely spaced?

Date: 09/14/12 20:17
Author: speeder3

filmteknik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know much about boiler work but aren't
> those grid lines very widely spaced?

One foot squares is standard practice, although some shops prefer to do a 6"x6" grid below the theoretical water line in order to increase your chances of catching a thin spot in the higher corrosion locations. At least that's the way I was taught to do it.

Brian

Date: 09/14/12 22:01
Author: Crosscompound

The entire boiler was ut'd every 12" and in areas of most concern were grided every 6". We have been very successful in installing a new patch in the right hand side and dozens of flexi sleeves, bolts, and caps. Currently it is our goal to run it at the Eastern Sierra Museum in Independence,CA. This project has plenty of knowledge from individuals who are part of several steam locomotive operations here in the west. Keep in mind these individuals along with local help have all volunteered their time and money to make this happen. Great progress has been made with a very thorough restoration in such a short amount of time as can be seen at our website

-Charles Cross

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds