Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Steam & Excursion > D&RGW C16 278 back in Cimarron CO

Date: 10/02/12 17:08
D&RGW C16 278 back in Cimarron CO
Author: Grande-Fan

D&RGW C16 278 is back in Cimarron CO after a 2 1/2 year cosmetic overhaul. It was retired in 1953 and spent a little time on display
in Montrose Colorado before being put on display on a bridge span east of Cimarron near the Morrow Point Dam.
The past few decades the 278 had started to show some serious signs of decay, metal rusting through and wood rotting.
In the Spring of 2010 the 278 was trucked to Mammoth Locomotive Works in Palisade CO for its overhaul.
Work was completed a month ago and the 278 was hauled back to Cimarron in late September.
Attached are a few photos of the engineer side of the 278 and tender plus a view of the firemans side.
Photos of the engineer side were nearly impossible while it was on the bridge since it was near the canyon wall.
It is unknown if the 278, the boxcar and caboose will be placed back on the bridge.
Really wish that it would of been restored to service but that always ends up in the money battle.
Nathan Z.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/12 17:27 by Grande-Fan.

Date: 10/02/12 17:11
Re: D&RGW C16 278 back in Cimarron CO
Author: RuleG

Even if it's not running, that is still a beautiful restoration.

Thanks for sharing the images.

Date: 10/02/12 17:28
Author: The_Chief_Way

hmmm, on my layout the tender goes BEHIND the engine......
but, beautiful job

Date: 10/02/12 17:30

True, but if "if" it goes back on the bridge the tender will need to be placed first.
Nathan Z.

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hmmm, on my layout the tender goes BEHIND the
> engine......
> but, beautiful job

Date: 10/02/12 18:02
Author: LoggerHogger

I hope it goes back on the bridge. That is one of the safest and most uniquely correct displays for a steam engine.

She looks great!

Martin

Date: 10/02/12 18:56
Author: rrpreservation

Nathan,

How did they get the equipment off the bridge? I remember a large gap between the land and the bridge.
Thanks,

Daniel Quiat

Date: 10/02/12 19:23

The gap was filled with a temporary bridge made from a 53' flat car, you can see parts of it
in the background of the first two photos. I didn't grab any photos of it, maybe next time I'm there.
Nathan Z.

Date: 10/02/12 19:40
Author: nycman

Very nice cosmetic restoration. I hope she goes back on the bridge, too.

Date: 10/02/12 21:29
Author: imrl

Wow, she sure does look good enough to light a fire in her boiler! Glad she has had some much needed work to help ensure her survival. In looking up what the display looked like, I came across this link on her removal and the start of the cosmetic restoration.

http://www.nps.gov/cure/historyculture/trainrestoration.htm

Date: 10/03/12 07:50
Author: stmfrevr

Wow - REALLY. If you think that locomotive belongs on that bridge in that canyon, you must really want to DESTROY it. Have you ever been there?
The environment in that canyon would be nothing but HELL on the locomotive.
What were you thinking ? ? ?

Date: 10/03/12 08:31
Author: Frisco1522

It was there for years and didn't suffer any worse than any engine out in the elements where vandals could have their way with her. I always thought it was a neat display site and it's a neat drive back in to it. You can tell how the RR snaked it's way out of the canyon. If it stays in Cimarron at the display down near the highway, that would work too. I'm glad to see she had a right side. I'm assuming the bridge section is getting some attention also.
I'm for anything that keeps the taggers, thieves and vandals away from things.

Date: 10/03/12 10:59
Author: Railbaron

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hmmm, on my layout the tender goes BEHIND the
> engine......
> but, beautiful job

I thought the was Rio Grande's attempt at a cab forward like the SP had. :-)

Date: 10/03/12 13:49
Author: davew833

Hopefully someday sister engine #223, under restoration in Ogden, UT will look that good!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds