Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Steam & Excursion > Rayonier #45 Moves To Oregon Coast Scenic RR!

Date: 10/25/12 13:16
Rayonier #45 Moves To Oregon Coast Scenic RR!
Author: LoggerHogger

Today the crews at the Oregon Coast Scenic RR moved former Rayonier 2-6-2 #45 from it's long-time storage site at Mount Rainier Scenic RR to the OCSR restoration shops at Garibaldi, OR.

The 1906 built Baldwin was purchased by the Polson Brothers Logging Company to haul timber on Washington's Olympic Peninsula out of Polson's Railroad Camp. In the 1940's Rayonier bought out Polson and continued to use #45 as Camp switcher until the late 1950's when she was donated to the town of Hoquium, WA an put on display.

She was removed from display and moved up to Mineral on MRSR in 2001 where she has sat before being moved to OCSR today.

We at OCSR thank our freind Brian Wise at MRSR for the work it took to lay track and shuttle large amounts of equipment so OCSR could remove #45.

In this photo from today's move #45 is just leaving Morton, Washington on her Southbound trip to Garibaldi, OR where she will be rebuilt and returned to service.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/12 19:49 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/25/12 14:56
Re: Rayonier #45 Moves To Oregon Coast Scenic RR!
Author: roustabout

Won't it be great to see her running? Thanks for the post, Martin.

Date: 10/25/12 15:03
Author: patd3985

Great news Martin! Any possibility of the Rayonier #90 ever waking up again? What's her story? If anybody would know, it'd be you! I got to ride the cab of her many, many moons ago! Thanx!..........Pat

Date: 10/25/12 17:58

Pat,

Don't worry, #90 is in our plans as well. We just have others that need saving and moving first.

Martin

Date: 10/25/12 18:36
Author: kcmbha

That truck/trailor is awesome. What does the loco weigh. Bet that was expensive move. craig

Date: 10/25/12 18:42
Author: shay2305

Not to pick too many nits here, but the 45 was buil in 1906. Making her the oldest rod locomotive on the OCSR roster.

Date: 10/25/12 19:14
Author: logger-dad

Is this lokie going to be restored to Rayonier or Polson...???
Either is OK... Just glad it is saved and will be alive and steaming again...

Date: 10/25/12 22:08
Author: Pickering104

Letter it for "New York Central" if you want! I'll just be happy to see it running and saved!

Date: 10/26/12 09:39
Author: Hillcrest

kcmbha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That truck/trailor is awesome. What does the loco
> weigh. Bet that was expensive move. craig

It is an impressive lowboy configuration. The MRSR website lists the locomotive weight as 44 tons, which would be in working order I believe so it might be a little bit less now. They appear to have a deck extension installed where the loco rides, it's a bolt in section of trailer deck that extends it from a 24'well (standard on most trailers) to 28'. Most of the time you wouldn't need that many axles for a load of that weight, but bridge capacity where they're going might dictate a lighter axle loading, or the truck may have been in the area after delivering a heavier load and using the loco move as a backhaul, saving the shipper a bunch of money. We regularly move a Cat D8R which weighs 88,000lbs on a 7 axle lowboy, but we don't have bridge restrictions to contend with. Cost for a move like this can be surprisingly low if you don't have to hire a rigging/crane crew, it looked like the guys at MRSR did the loading, and the load is under 11' wide and under 14'6" high, eliminating the need for pilot cars on 2 lane roads in Wa. (Ore. allows 12') and permits are pretty reasonable too, so you have the hourly rate of the truck/driver or possibly a flat rate bid...My, I do ramble on don't I...

Cheers, Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/12 11:15 by Hillcrest.

Date: 10/26/12 10:32
Author: asheldrake

Thanks for the news and posting Martin! is the 45 going to stay on the Oregon Coast Scenic or does it go back
to MRSR after restoration? Arlen

Date: 10/26/12 10:45

Arlen,

#45 was wold by MRSR a couple of years ago. It will not be going back to MRSR.

Martin

Date: 10/26/12 11:54
Author: PorterNo2

Arlen, the MRSR does all it's rebuild work in house and does not need to contract services. We sold the 45 two years ago to Chris Baldo at Roots of Motive Power since we already have four operable steam locomotives (hillcrest 10, Rayonier 2, Polson 70, and Westfork 91) and will be adding two more shortly that we are currently rebuilding (Hammond 17 and SCPC 2). The 45 was surplus to our operating scheme as it lacks the tractive effort to pull our trains on our steep grades. Thank you for your interest.

Best

Stathi

Efstathios I Pappas, MS
Chief Mechanical Officer
Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/26/12 15:12
Author: asheldrake

Thanks Martin and Stathi for the information. Sounding like a "4-year old with yet another question;
does Roots of Motive Power still own the 45? Arlen

Date: 10/26/12 16:19

Arlen,

Let me clear up the mis-information.

Roots did not buy the #45. We sold #45 to Chris Baldo who owns in his private collection. While Chris is very involved with Roots, he has his own collection of equipment and #45 is in his collection.

I hope this clears this up.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0713 seconds