Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Steam & Excursion > You've got mail !

Date: 10/25/12 19:26
You've got mail !
Author: WrongWayMurphy

This afternoon the 844 came down the ex-SP Rabbit line - probably the first time steam has seen these
rails since the 1950's. Appleby TX is name of the town and railroad location with its oft used siding
about 10 miles north of Nacogdoches, in deep East Texas.

The lady checking her mail was on her porch when the postman came and dropped mail in her box. Shortly
after he left, she walked out to her box to get he mail when 844 came around the curve in front of her.

I swear, she was oblivious to the event and didn't even look up. Must have been a Victoria Secret catalog or
maybe a Oprah Magazine in her box.

I took this hoping to get a better shot of the tri-colored signal (to the right of the diesel) in the picture,
but Mailbox Mom diverted my attention.

Date: 10/25/12 19:30
Re: You've got mail !
Author: BCutter

Great shot. We lived in Appleby for a year when I was at SFASU! But way on the other side of the tracks!!! All we saw then was dirty SP/SSW units pulling manifest freights.

Date: 10/25/12 19:44
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Me too. I lived in Appleby in '75-'76 when at SFA also.

Me, a buddy, and two girls shared a log house off Appleby-Sands Road.
Man, those were good times. We had some really good keg parties in that house.

Back the Jacks 'till the Jacks come Back !

Date: 10/25/12 19:49
Author: patd3985

Wow! Good ol' Nacadoches! I was hitchhiking around the country in '73 and stopped in that little burg to make a few $$$ to keep me on the road! I was only gonna stay for a few days, but when I found out that the female to male population was 7 to 1, and I being 25 at the time, decided to stick around for awhile (about 3 months). All I can say is... Thank you Steven F. Austin University! Need I go into details?.. Nah, you guys get it! (and so did I!...I left town a happy lad after breaking a few hearts!)

Date: 10/25/12 20:09
Author: Txhighballer

Nice to see many Lumberjacks on the board! Spent quite a lot of time while in school at the Nacodoches depot, and got many a lineup...even hooped up orders once ot twice. I have always wanted to hear a steam locomotive fighting up Fitze Hill, which is a two percent grade and I think steepest mainline grade in Texas...but alas, 844 came down the hill on this trip. Also wanted a steam pic in Nacogdoches at the depot, but work committments kept me from the hunt today. I'll se her in Houston tomorrow.

Date: 10/25/12 21:55
Author: IC_2024

Great stories and hard to believe the oblivious mailbox lady for sure--glad you got the shot clearly showing that fact, too!

Date: 10/26/12 15:53
Author: P

It really is true that there are many, many oblivious people in this world. Oblivious to anything important going on around them. It is really sad, but so it goes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds