Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Most Appropriately Named Depot Ever! Timber Oregon!

Date: 11/03/12 06:43
The Most Appropriately Named Depot Ever! Timber Oregon!
Author: LoggerHogger

High in Oregon's Coast Range on the Southern Pacific's Tillamook Branch lies the railroad town of Timber. SP built a small roundhouse and servicing facility here to handle the helpers that were added to the trains on their way to the Coast.

The SP Depot for this little town was aptly constructed out of local logs to give meaning to the reason the Tillamook Branch was built in the first place.

SP engineer H.L. Arey took this excellent photo in 1914. That is SP engineer "Babe" Wescott holding the oil can.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/12 07:00 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/03/12 08:50
Re: The Most Appropriately Named Depot Ever! Timber Ore
Author: viewrail

Thanks for posting Martin. Sadly this unique depot met its fate on September 3, 1962 according to this article in the Oregonian. - Scott

Date: 11/03/12 09:00
Author: TonyJ

I wish I could have been at Timber during its prime. The first time my wife and I stopped there I matched photos I brought along to where I was standing. What a wonderful place it must have been.

Date: 11/03/12 10:01

Here is another view from H.L. Arey showing Timber "back in the day". Arey took this from the front porch of his house.

This shows the roundhouse and the watertank as well as the town itself.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/12 10:01 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/03/12 13:05
Author: patd3985

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is another view from H.L. Arey showing Timber
> "back in the day". Arey took this from the front
> porch of his house.
>
> This shows the roundhouse and the watertank as
> well as the town itself.
>
> Martin

Thanx Martin! Where was the depot in reference to your photo? My mom and dad used to go to the dances at the old Timber Tavern on occation. My mom said that she knew she was "second in line for love" when my father left her standing on the dance floor one night to rush outside and watch a "triple header" work the grade up to Cochran! She always kidded him about that! What can you say?... The "old man" just loved steam locomotives. Especially hard at work as they were on the Tillamook Branch. That WAS railroading!

Date: 11/03/12 13:44

Pat,

The depot is on the right side of the tracks just down from the water tank in middle of the photo. It is down by the town buildings just down the track to the West of the water tank.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds