Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Famous Runaway Heisler Of Bluestone Mine Ry!

Date: 11/10/12 04:15
The Famous Runaway Heisler Of Bluestone Mine Ry!
Author: LoggerHogger

After yesterday's post on the demise of the Nevada Copper Belt Ry, I recalled the fascinating story of the famous runaway Heisler of the Bluestone Minning Co. on the Bluestone Mine Ry that connected to the NCB.

The photo of the engine shows her in the Bluestone enginehouse on June 18, 1935 before she was sold to Blake Brothers in Richmond, CA. The photo is by the late Ted G.Wurm. She is now operational at the Roots of Motive Power in Willits, CA.

It is not every day you see a story with this much shortline character as told in the attached story.

Enjoy.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 04:26 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/10/12 06:42
Re: The Famous Runaway Heisler Of Bluestone Mine Ry!
Author: Evan_Werkema

If only they had used worm gears on the driveshaft! ;^)

What was the practical top speed of a Heisler before things started flying apart? Graves and Wurm's book on the Mt. Tamalpais & Muir Woods Ry. contains a tall tale claiming Heisler #9 once approached 60 mph on relatively level track in Mill Valley, CA. I guess a Heisler is essentially an external combustion "V-twin" with a one-speed transmission and no clutch - what was the "red line" RPM?

Date: 11/10/12 08:39
Author: rehunn

Figure 1/2 the wheel diameter ie a 33" wheel gets you 16 1/2 mph, rough estimate. 60 min a Heisler
would exceed the valves ability to turn around that fast hence "grenade".

Date: 11/11/12 11:10
Author: Harlock

Yea 60mph would be an urban legend unless it was exceptionally high geared, in which case it would have a bit of trouble starting...

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds