Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Steam & Excursion > Ever Wonder How Number Plates Were Designed?

Date: 11/10/12 16:47
Ever Wonder How Number Plates Were Designed?
Author: LoggerHogger

In the days of steam locomotives, every part and piece that was installed on these fine engines was carefully designed at the builders using blueprints in the process. No detail was left to chance. When you bought one of these fine machines from the builder, such as The Baldwin Locomotive Works, you got a book of blueprints for every part on your locomotive.

Here is an example of the blueprint used by Baldwin for the design and manufacture of their number plate during the 1920's. Every detail and dimension was recorded on this blueprint to be used in the foundry to make the plate for the locomotive. Notice how the size of the numbers changes depending on how many digits are in the engine number.

For comparison, I am showing you a Baldwin number plate from my collection so you can see how faithfully the blueprints were followed. This plate is off Deer Island Logging Col #101 a 2-6-2T that worked in the Oregon Coast Range.

Martin

Date: 11/11/12 07:26
Re: Ever Wonder How Number Plates Were Designed?
Author: filmteknik

Seen mostly on small carriers. I suppose this was standard equipment that one could delete if using one's own number plate.

Date: 11/11/12 07:28
Author: wabash2800

Looks like they dropped the comma after Philadelphia for a period or didn't have enough room.

Date: 11/11/12 08:55
Author: filmteknik

Good catch. No reason for a period there and not in the design. A mistake or some sort of casting issue.

Date: 11/11/12 11:42
Author: LoggerHogger

Actually, what appears to be a coma in the blueprint is really just a flaw in the print. None fo the number plates had a cama on them - just periods.

Martin

Date: 11/12/12 15:42
Author: davebb71

the "A" dimension is one thing, but look at the "B" and "C" dimensions, they vary widely??? a mounting issue?? dave, out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3584 seconds